- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Thanos from the Marvel Cinematic film series. The mainstream version can be found here: Thanos (Marvel).
|“||I used the Stones to destroy the Stones. It nearly... killed me, but the work is done. It always will be. I am... inevitable.||„|
|~ Thanos revealing that he destroyed the Infinity Stones to ensure that what he had done could not be undone.|
|“||I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail, nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. But I ask you, to what end? Dread it, run from it... destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say... I am.||„|
|~ Thanos' speech.|
Thanos is the main antagonist of the Infinity Saga of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
He is the overarching antagonist of The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers: Age of Ultron, the unseen overarching antagonist of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Season 5 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the main antagonist of both Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame and a posthumous antagonist in Spider-Man: Far From Home.
Thanos was an extremely powerful alien warlord who commanded three massive armies called the Chitauri, the Sakaarans and the Outriders, as well as a small group of fanatical followers whom he takes as his adoptive children known as the Black Order. He is the archenemy of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Avengers, and the Guardians of the Galaxy as a whole.
Thanos formed an alliance with Loki to invade Earth, and later forged a partnership with Ronan the Accuser to destroy Xandar - both in exchange for the deliverance of two powerful Infinity Stones, only for the pair to end up failing their tasks before they betrayed Thanos afterwards. Thanos was also indirectly responsible for the creation of Ultron as his supplying of the Mind Stone to Loki was what gave Ultron free will to rebel against humanity in the first place.
He later obtained all six Infinity stones, fought with the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, and successfully wiped out half the life in the universe. His actions would ultimately be undone, however, after the Avengers successfully retrieved the Infinity Stones through time travel. Soon after, an alternate version of Thanos from the past, time traveled to the present in an effort to destroy the Avengers and erase the whole universe in order to create a new one, but was defeated and erased from existence once and for all before he could carry out that plan. However, even after his demise, Thanos' actions still haunted the Avengers.
In The Avengers, the first of the series, he was portrayed by Damion Poitier, who also played The Incapacitator in Lab Rats vs. Mighty Med. For the rest of the MCU, he was portrayed and voiced by Josh Brolin in motion capture, who also played Dr. William Block in Planet Terror, Tom Chaney in True Grit, Derek Bates in Into the Blue and Cable in Deadpool 2.
- 1 Physical appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Lists
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Other Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Navigation
Thanos was an extremely tall, bulky, and muscular male Titan with no hair, small blue eyes, and a disproportionately huge chin. Unlike other Titans, he had purple skin with scar-like markings on his chin, shoulders and arms. He usually wore golden armor, underneath which he wore a dark purple tank top.
|“||My father was many things. A liar is not one of them.||„|
|~ Nebula confirms that Thanos really had destroyed the Infinity Stones|
|“||Thanos: You could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me. I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive. But you've shown me... that's impossible. As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be... they will resist.
Iron Man: Yep, we're all kinds of stubborn.
Thanos: I'm thankful, because now I know what I must do. I will shred this universe down to its last atom. And then, with the Stones you have collected for me, create a new one, teeming with life, that knows not what it has lost, but only what it has been given... a grateful universe.
Captain America: Born out of blood.
Thanos: They'll never know it... because YOU won't be alive to tell them.
|~ Thanos vowing to destroy and then rebuild the universe to take it over.|
Although considered by many to be the ultimate embodiment of cruelty, madness and destruction, Thanos was actually a more complicated and tortured soul as he became who he was due to his traumatic past, genuinely believed that he was right, and that his actions of wiping out half of all live would benefit the whole universe. Towards his enemies, Thanos can be ruthless and cruel and he is relentless as seen by his gathering of children from across the galaxy to take as his own while murdering their families so he can raise them as assassins and aid him by tirelessly searching for the Infinity Stones. Joe Russo noted, however, that Thanos' belief was delusional and self-righteous due to the fact that he would force his belief on the whole universe. Thanos proved that by not sparing even the species that he had once halved or were already dwindling, as shown with the Asgardian refugees, which resulted in them to become even more less in number and actively ignores less extremes options such as increasing and adapting the resources for everybody in the Universe. Thus, his goal of halving the universal populace was really to prove that it could have saved his people from extinction. He also called himself "generous" when he discussed the traits that Gamora inherited from him and even referred himself as the embodiment of destiny, describing his plan for the universe as "salvation" and his plans as being inevitable, which was a further sign of Thanos' delusions. Indeed, even when Thanos's past self learned that the Avengers utilized time travel (through the usage of the Quantum Realm) in order to retrieve the Infinity Stones and undo the damage that he did in the original timeline, Thanos realized that the remaining half of the universe's populace wouldn't accept the future that he envisioned whether he succeeded or not because they could never forget about the losses of their loved ones he killed, which proved that his beliefs were wrong, rather than admitting that he was wrong, Thanos instead came to the conclusion that the universe was ungrateful for his deeds and decided that he would use the Stones to destroy the entire universe and recreate it in his own image so that everyone would be grateful for his actions, becoming outright depraved and ruthless for the sake of his own ambitions as he abandoned his ideals of balance, honor, and empathy as he gloated to the Avengers that he would enjoy personally tearing the Earth apart out of spite against them for interfering with his plans.
Being possibly the most notorious warlord in the universe, Thanos was extremely arrogant as he merely smiled when The Other told him that challenging the Avengers was like courting Death. He even was unfazed when Ronan threatened to kill him with The Orb, despite knowing well that the Kree was already very powerful even without the Stone, and displayed only anger over his betrayal. Thanos also confidently smiled when he decided to collect the Infinity Stones personally. He was also extremely brave, never showing any sign of fear or cowardice, even when he knows he was about to be killed. Beside this, Thanos had an extraordinary will and mental strength, as evidenced by Mantis struggling to hypnotize him despite her ability to make Ego, another very powerful being, falling asleep almost instantly simply with a touch, with her thus pointing out that the Titan was "very strong".
Thanos was extremely unforgiving and intolerant of failures, with a loathsome nature and tendency to torturously punish any failure, that made him an exceptionally intimidating figure. The Other warned Loki that he would know a new kind of pain if he did not give them the Tesseract, something which visibly scared the God of Mischief and made him more determined than ever out of fear of Thanos' power. Even though Thor did not know about Thanos, he could still sense Thanos' easy control over Loki as being absurd due to Loki's arrogance. That side of his was shown further when Thanos furiously threatened to bathe the stairways in Ronan's blood if he failed to deliver the Orb, something which scared one of the strongest Kree into submission, and forbade Gamora from rescuing Nebula when the latter fell into a trap while on a mission in the Cloud Tombs of Praxius. He even arranged for Nebula to be painfully tortured in order to coerce Gamora into revealing the location of the Soul Stone. Even Ebony Maw, his most loyal and faithful child who have never failed him before, fears his possible "judgement" if he fails to bring the Time Stone in time and attached to the necklace of Strange to Thanos. Despite his charisma and leadership skills having allowed him to rule the Chitauri and Outriders unchallenged, Thanos showed little to no regard for his followers, as he showed absolutely no concern when Ronan killed The Other.
Thanos was also manipulative and hesitant to trust: he sent Ronan to retrieve the Orb for him and did not tell him that it contained an Infinity Stone. Thanos was surprisingly patient, kept a low profile, lurked in the shadows, and made others do his work for him. However, after both of his alliances backfired, Thanos showed that he was fully capable of taking action himself, as he decided to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself. During his hunt of the Infinity Stones, Thanos was described by the Russo Brothers as becoming almost a "holy warrior" who only killed when necessary. That was shown by the fact that while Thanos did ruthlessly kill Loki for failing him and attempting to kill him, he gave him a rather merciful and quick death despite having earlier threatened him and spared Thor nothing more but a brief grin and didn't bother to show outright mock when he cruelly announced Loki's true death. While Ebony Maw stated that Thanos would like to "have his fun" with the Hulk when the Gamma Beast attacked him on the Statesman, the Titan remained focused when he fought and beat the Hulk. That was later displayed repeatedly when Thanos merely incapacitated his opponents when he fought on both Titan and Wakanda. He also massacred nearly all of the Dwarves in order to put their king, Eitri, in a trauma after he crippled his hands.
For all of Thanos's arrogance, he never lets this hamper his intelligence, displaying the ability to swiftly recover from unexpected and debilitating setbacks and calmly handle the situation without the usual anger over being outplayed like most villains did. Those who attempted to use his confidence against him swiftly found themselves failing, which has proven to be a saving grace for Thanos several times: Loki attempted to use Thanos' confidence that the God of Mischief was too afraid to attack him to assassinate him, only for Thanos to instantly see through it, having fully knew from the beginning what Loki would do and not counting Loki's fear as being sufficient, and hence effortlessly thwarted and killed Loki, for good. Instead of going into a rage on the heroes at Titan for reminding him of his sacrifice of Gamora, he promptly tactically broke the planet's moon to pieces and blasted it in order to separate his enemies. When Thor severely wounded him, instead of panicking and cursing at the God of Thunder, Thanos instead took advantage of Thor's desire for cruel revenge by convincingly feignning he was about to die until he mockingly revealed that Thor's blow was in the end insignificant to stop him and caught him completely off-guard, allowing him to complete his goal while leaving Thor completely helpless and finally when the Gauntlet was damaged rather than continuing to be astonished or taking too much time to mock Thor, Thanos swiftly left Earth to escape death after only giving Thor a mocking smirk when he furiously questioned what he did. Additionally, rather than arrogantly believing the Avengers would give up after his defeat of them, Thanos calculated they would persist and never give up and would target him to get the Infinity Stones to reverse his Snap and thus destroyed them, which left the Avengers utterly defeated for 5 years. However, it was shown that he wasn't always like this, as displayed by his 2014 self: Upon defeating Iron Man, rather than checking if the Infinity Gauntlet still had the Stones, Thanos instead taunted him over his failure and simply snapped only to learn that Iron Man had already obtained the Stones and used them to disintegrate Thanos and his army at the cost of his own life. Unlike last time, Thanos was so shocked he didn't try to prevent the snap even though he could have, leading to his ultimate demise.
However, Thanos once had a kinder and more benevolent side to himself in that he cared deeply for his planet and people even though he was shunned for being deformed, as he tried everything that he could to convince the governments of his planet to do what he suggested. The fact that they refused to accept his proposal and called him insane for it was what made Thanos who he was in the present with his desire to exterminate half of the population of every planet so as to save those civilizations from the same overpopulation tragedy which destroyed his home planet. That was why Thanos truly believed his cause for killing off half of everyone on all planets to be a righteous cause and saw himself a righteous soul who was doing what was necessary to save all the civilizations of the universe, so that they did not face the same tragedy as his home planet.
Despite everything he had gone through, Thanos was not without the ability to love: in spite of his ruthlessly strict treatment of “his children“, he has been shown to truly care for them. Though he was more than willing to kill children, the fact that he took in only children out of the inhabitants of the planet he balanced showed he had a soft side for them. The child he loved the most was Gamora, who he quickly became interested in after seeing her fight back against her captor and gently kept her from being a part of the random genocide of her people by giving her the task of balancing a blade he gave her and when her attention turned to her people's screaming, he gently reminded her to remain focused on her task. Over the years, Thanos considered Gamora his favorite daughter and was proud of her abilities, deeming her the only one worthy of having his throne and despite knowing of her hatred for him, he never stopped believing that she could one day be loyal again. He even forgave her lie of failing to find the Soul Stone and allowed her to keep the façade for years until he finally decided to hunt down the Infinity Stones himself. Thanos also admitted that he knew Gamora wanted to leave his side and yet allowed it, perhaps wanting to give Gamora her wish even if only temporarily, and despite her betrayal, he made it clear Ronan alienating of Gamora angered him. Just before he captured Gamora, Thanos offered her a chance to come willingly, outright indicating he would leave the Guardians unharmed, and when he had her captive, he treated her more like a guest than a prisoner, not restraining her and instead giving her food and remaining patient and appealing, despite Gamora's anger and rather than torturing her for the location of the Soul Stone, he instead had Nebula tortured to make Gamora tell him. He took the lead when they ventured to the Soul Stone's shrine and when they encountered the Red Skull, not knowing if he was friend or foe, he made a gesture telling her to stay back, shielding her with his own body and was utterly heartbroken when he realized he had to kill Gamora to gain the power of the Soul Stone, to the point where he shed tears and sincerely apologized to her, his grief and pain being sensed by Mantis despite still going through with it as he believed it was for the greater good.
Even towards his other children, Thanos did have some affection for them, as he stated that the loss of Maw was a heavy toll despite remaining calm and only being slightly somber over it and with the loss of all his children, he mournfully admitted he lost everything. Even towards Nebula, despite her betrayal, Thanos did not kill her after getting the information out of Gamora, although he outright shoved the fact that she was inferior to Gamora in his eyes in her face during their showdown and had no qualms fighting her. Likewise, before his present self's death, Thanos was genuinely grateful when she admitted that he wasn't a liar and showed regret that he treated her too harshly, which drove her to tears before she mourned him. It was later shown that Thanos wasn't always so critical of her and when she promised to make him proud, the 2014 Thanos was visibly pleased and stated he knew she would. Rather than killing her for her apparent betrayal, Thanos instead took her to his ship to be treated and checked. After listening to a recording of his future self regretting his treatment of her, Thanos took those words to heart and decided to treat Nebula better. That was demonstrated when he immediately releases the chain that Ebony Maw had around Nebula's neck and gave her the chance to prove her loyalty, despite learning of her eventual betrayal.
Thanos was also shown to have an honorable and respectable side, as even though he was angry for Ronan causing him to lose Gamora and returning empty-handed, he was still willing to fulfill his end of their deal by destroying half of Xandar's population in order to nab the Power Stone. Thanos even extended that to his enemies: he spared Iron Man when Doctor Strange gave him the Time Stone. In fact, though quite manipulative, Thanos was a person who never lied, something that even his abused daughter Nebula confirmed. Indeed, even though The Other stated that Thanos desired to use the Tesseract to look beyond the known worlds to find greater ones that it would unveil, it was later on shown that Thanos never intended to use the Stones power for control over the universe and was quick to destroy them to avoid being tempted by their power. He proved capable of showing respect and empathy toward his opponents should they earned it. That was first seen when Star-Lord attempted to kill Gamora due to the promise that he made to her, but thanks to the Reality Stone, the ammunition was transmuted into bubbles; it was then that Thanos said that he liked Quill for his willingness to kill Gamora when the situation called for it. Thanos also praised Iron Man for his bravery and hoped the survivors of humanity would still remember him. When Scarlet Witch was forced to kill Vision in order to destroy the Mind Stone, Thanos actually sympathized for her loss, comforted her, and told her that he had experienced the same kind of sadness when he killed Gamora, but later reversed that with the Time Stone before he killed Vision and obtained the Mind Stone, much to Scarlet Witch's distraught. This side of Thanos also made him outright contemptuous of those who sought power for selfish gain and simply ruthless purposes, which he would not hide even if said individuals proved to benefit him. This was shown by how Thanos was dismissive of Maw's sycophant behavior, openly found Loki's greed to be pathetic and showed disgust over being told by Loki he would never become a god. He also made it clear he saw Ronan's personal grudge against the Xandarians as being distasteful as well as openly commenting how he found the Collector despicable for his value of possessing over all else in his illusion. He even took time to express his distaste for Thor's lust for revenge making him strike him in the chest, instead of the head despite the fact he would have been dead had Thor did it. When his 2014 self fought Captain America he actually complemented him for putting up a good fight, as well as being willing to face Thanos’ high numbers.
Additionally, Thanos did not take his genocidal motives as a pretext to eliminate potential foes who could be able to exact revenge on him and did not went out of his way to kill the surviving members of the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy who had done everything they could to stop him, suggesting that in a way he respected their tenacity and chose to spare them for it. In fact, despite knowing fully well his surviving enemies would come for him to get revenge, Thanos chose to destroy the Stones even though keeping them would have allowed him to perhaps defeat his enemies and with his victory seemingly fully secured, seemingly finding their quest to kill him as being just, did not fight back against his enemies even though the Russo Brothers confirmed even in his weakened state, he could have still been able to defend himself against the Avengers and allowed himself to be at their mercy and calmly faced his fate. Even after all the depravity his 2014 self showed, he accepted his defeat with honorable dignity despite being visibly distraught by the ultimate failure of his plans.
Powers & Abilities
- Titan Physiology: As a mutated Titan, Thanos possess immeasurable levels of strength, reflexes, durability, regenerative healing, and endurance as well as near-immortality. He is frighteningly powerful, able to effortlessly intimidate, overpower, severely harm, and even potentially kill beings as powerful as Loki, who is almost on par with Thor, and Ronan The Accuser, who was among the strongest Kree, Thor at full power, and Hulk. He rules the Chitauri and Outrider army unchallenged. Korath has fearfully said he is the most powerful being in the universe, although Ronan was confident that he could kill Thanos with the power of the Orb. Nevertheless, Thanos displayed no sign of concern after Ronan threatened him. Gamora also blatantly told Nebula she doesn't know if killing Thanos is possible. Thanos was also shown to be fully confident in being capable of collectively harnessing the full power of all six Infinity Stones with the use of an Infinity Gauntlet, a feat that no other being has ever survived. This was proven correct when he was able to handle the use of all six after finally completing the Infinity Gauntlet.
- Superhuman Longevity: Like all Titans, Thanos himself was also nearly immortal and had existed for a very long time. It had been confirmed that Thanes was roughly over one thousand years of age by the time Tony Stark decimated him with the power of the Infinity Stones during the Battle of Earth.
- Superhuman Strength: Thanos holds incalculably extraordinary, godly levels of superhuman strength, to the point that he is capable of easily wielding all six Infinity Stones with the Infinity Gauntlet, a feat that no other being has survived, making him one of the strongest beings in existence, if not the strongest. Thanos could effortlessly break the highly durable containers of the Infinity Stones, as he casually crushed the Tesseract and later the Eye of Agamotto in a single hand, which was protected by an extremely powerful spell. He was also capable of effortlessly breaking out of Groot's vines and it took the combined efforts of Doctor Strange, Drax, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Star-Lord, and Mantis to keep him restrained, and even then, he still showed great resistance. Upon waking up, Thanos was quickly able to break out of the restraints and regain control of the Infinity Gauntlet. He also was still casually able to clench the Infinity Gauntlet when restrained by countless Eldritch Whips by Doctor Strange's replicas. Thanos is so strong that beings of lesser but still higher superhuman strength and resilience pose no threat or challenge to him, such as Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Gamora, as Thanos proves by effortlessly stopping Black Panther's full charge with a single-handed choke hold and knock him out with a punch, overpowering Spider-Man with one hand casually and being able to effortlessly break out of his web and use it to pull him to Thanos, effortlessly restraining Gamora with a single hand and later throwing her off a cliff in Vormir with little effort. He also could overpower Iron Man in his nanotech Mark L Armor with little effort, with his strength being more than sufficient to easily tear apart the armor with his bare hands, and he was able to effortlessly break Iron Man's sword in half and then stab him with it. Even when Captain America used all his strength, which was vastly augmented by his determination, he was only just barely able to hold back Thanos’ gauntlet hand and the Mad Titan proceeded to effortlessly knock the Super Soldier out with a single punch. Even beings of the highest levels of strength and resilience such as Hulk, Vision, and Thor do not pose much threat to Thanos, as Thanos effortlessly beat Hulk to a bloody pulp and Thor, with Thanos going as far as to threaten that he can easily crush Thor's head and kill him anytime he wants, and lifted Vision off the ground with one hand, who was powerless to break free, and quickly ripped the Mind Stone from Vision's extremely durable Vibranium forehead. Lacking the Infinity Gauntlet did not prevent the 2014 Thanos from being capable of overpowering Thor and Captain America in raw strength without much effort, as he was easily able to pummel Thor enough to cause him to severely bleed and bruised and steadily overwhelm him when he tried to use Stormbreaker to gut open his chest, with only Captain America's sudden mastery of Mjolnir preventing him from doing so and was firmly holding back Thor's attempts to stab him with Stormbreaker despite being electrocuted by the electricity surrounding the mighty axe and even with Mjolnir further enhancing Thor's strength and Captain America restraining him, he was still able to overpower their combined might eventually. He even broke Captain America's shield with mere brute strikes from his sword and could easily knock Mjolnir from Rogers's grasp with a single blow and lift and send him flying and before Captain America was able to use Mjolnir, Thanos rendered him near entirely powerless, easily badly incapacitating him with a single punch. Even Captain Marvel using all her cosmic power to augment her strength had to put it all to ensure Thanos could not close his fist and showed trouble overcoming him. The only time he was significantly injured was against the fully-empowered Thor wielding Stormbreaker, a weapon reputed to be the strongest of all of Asgard's weaponry, and this was while he was distracted, and even still, Thanos quickly regained control over the Infinity Gauntlet afterwards and was still strong enough to survive using it at the scale needed to wipe out half of the universe, although he did enter a catatonic state for a while due to performing such a feat while considerably injured. His strength also extends to his legs, as he was able to jump a tremendous distance to avoid Doctor Strange's rays with a single leap.
- Superhuman Speed, Agility, and Reflexes: Thanos possesses incredulously swiftness and incredibly superhuman levels of speed, agility, and reflexes, making him fully capable of easily fighting and outpacing even the swiftest of enemies, including others of far smaller size and superhuman conditioning. He was able to easily dodge a few blows from Hulk, and then instantly struck him multiple times before Hulk had a chance to respond. Thanos also easily reacted to Loki's swift attempt to kill him, effortlessly choking Loki to death before the latter could react. While Thor managed to land a blow on Thanos after Thanos had just beaten Hulk, Thanos easily kicked the God of Thunder away before he could attack again. With just a single hand, Thanos was able to easily grab Gamora before she could strike him with Godslayer (which Thanos broke in the process), and was even able to react to the extremely agile Spider-Man's attacks, eventually getting a grip on him and pinning Spider-Man down. He was also able to effortlessly pummel Iron Man in hand-to-hand combat within seconds and break his sword and stab him before he could react and casually catch Black Panther mid-charge with a single hand and could react to the extreme speed of the bullets fired by Winter Soldier and War Machine and Okoye's thrown spear to easily blast it away. The 2014 Thanos was able to easily keep pace with and even beat Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, with him being able to move faster than Iron Man's strongest armor could react while blocking his repulsors and casually toss aside Rogers as well as swiftly pummel and disarm Thor before he could react. He also could catch Stormbreaker faster than Thor could catch it to use against him.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Thanos has displayed an extremely strong regenerative healing factor, capable of quickly recovering from even the most severe of wounds as long as his head is not cut off. Mere moments after being damaged by Iron Man slightly, he was completely healed upon arriving on Wakanda. Even when Thor dealt a severe wound to his chest with the devastatingly powerful Stormbreaker, by the time he was "admiring the sunset" at an unknown place, he had completely regenerated, although the wounds of using the Infinity Stones would take a long period of time to heal and he did not manage to heal it at all until he was killed.
- Superhuman Durability: Thanos has incalculably extraordinary, godly levels of supernatural resilience and durability, to the point many believed he cannot be killed and with not even the best efforts of those of great power and tenacity seen capable of inflicting lasting harm on him. rendering him capable of easily handling the Infinity Stones with the Infinity Gauntlet without any strain or harm done to himself, even surviving the power of all six without harm, something that none who have attempted have ever survived. Regula gunshots understandably does absolutely no harm to him, as shown when he remained completely unfazed by shots from the Winter Soldier, with even firearms and melee weapons of among the highest caliber doing very little harm to him, with him only barely flinching after being shot by Star-Lord and slashed by Drax's knives and managing to parry Drax's knives and Doctor Strange's Eldritch Sword with his bare hands without suffering any damage. In addition, his skin and skeleton is also nearly impenetrable to both outside and inside interference, as Doctor Strange decided against trying to use a Sling Ring to kill him as it wouldn't work fast enough to prevent Thanos's snap and if Ant-Man had tried to shrink himself, enter into his anus and then expand himself to kill the Mad Titan, the tough walls of Thanos' rectum would simply crush him to death. He is also able to effortlessly endure and shrug off attacks from beings of among the highest levels of superhuman strength as if it was nothing, as he was completely uninjured by punches from Spider-Man, which barely staggered him, remained completely uninjured by full-powered blows from Iron Man's Mark L armor, with even the sharp blades of the armor only inflicting a slight cut on Thanos' face, with him going as far as to mock Iron Man for only being able to draw a little drop of blood, and he was even barely fazed and completely uninjured by blows from Hulk or a fully-empowered Thor. Indeed, Thanos' durability is great enough that it took an attack from a fully-empowered Thor wielding Stormbreaker, a weapon so powerful that it was considered the most powerful in Asgard's history, to finally wound and harm him when the blade got lodged directly in his chest and even though Thor caused Thanos visible pain by twisting the ax deeper, Thanos retained enough strength to activate and use the Infinity Gauntlet at the scale needed to wipe out half of the universe, surviving such vast display of power despite the severe injury, although it did cause him to briefly entered a catatonic state but he quickly recovered, even going as far as to mock Thor for not aiming at his head. Even after being in a weakened state, Thanos was once again able to survive using the Infinity Gauntlet to destroy all the Stones, although it worsened his injuries. The 2014 Thanos was able to take blows from Captain America using Mjolnir, including lightning attacks, with no injuries despite being knocked around and staggered by them. In addition, he once again shrugged off Scarlet Witch's energy attacks despite her having grown even more powerful than last time and was even able to last long enough when Scarlet Witch used her full power to try to crush him for him to order his army to fire on her. After which, he was still able to take a beating from Captain Marvel without any significant damage.
- Superhuman Stamina: Thanos has displayed vast levels of superhuman stamina, as he proved capable of exerting himself at full capacity for tremendous periods of time even while pressured, as shown when he endured fighting repeatedly in Titan and Wakanda against the likes of the Avengers, Guardians, Black Panther, and Okoye without once showing any signs of fatigue and even after being severely injured by Thor stabbing and then twisting Stormbreaker into his chest as deep as he could, Thanos retained enough stamina to activate the Infinity Gauntlet at the scale needed to wipe out half of the universe and although he was exhausted enough to enter a catatonic state briefly, Thanos quickly recovered and was still able to warp away and only moments later had fully recovered from any exhaustion he underwent. The 2014 Thanos was able to engage in a prolonged battle for the Infinity Stones, overpowering the efforts of any hero he had faced, and in the end only being stopped by Iron Man causing his death with the Infinity Stones.
- Supernatural Powers: After equipping the Infinity Gauntlet into his left arm, combined with his already extraordinary physical constitution and raw power, Thanos gained the potential to safely harness the supernatural powers and dominion over all aspects of existence possessed by all six Infinity Stones should he add them to the Gauntlet, with the more stones Thanos inserts into the Gauntlet, the more power he gains. Upon acquiring all six stones, Thanos becomes nearly omnipotent and even gained the power to force living beings to just die without hesitation or resistance no matter if they were powerful or not. This was seen when even with a severe injury, he killed off half of life within the universe with just a snap of his fingers, making him the most powerful entity in the universe. It is notable that Thanos seems to completely master all the powers of the stones just after only shortly acquiring them, apparently showing he had full understanding and knowledge of the powers of the Infinity Stones, making him nearly invincible as he can easily and seamlessly switch between the powers of the stones and can even combine them.
- Energy Absorption and Warping: Combining the Power and Space Stones, Thanos is able to absorb energies he was exposed to and transform them into something else, as he could absorb the explosive energy of Iron Man's missiles, and redirect it at the Avenger as a single concentrated beam of fiery energy.
- Terrain Manipulation: Combining the Reality and Space Stones, Thanos can manipulate the terrain at a great enough scale to be able to pull the surface of Titan in order to force Doctor Strange closer to him.
- Space Manipulation: After inserting the Space Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires the stone's complete control over space. His mastery and understanding of its powers allows him to achieve a wide plethora of liberal but potent capabilities and is not limited to simply opening portals, although it remains the most useful ability that he acquired as he can now effortlessly travel to anywhere he desires without needing to use any other transportation, even able to achieve interdimensional travel without aid now, as he easily warped to Knowhere, Titan, and later Wakanda by casually opening a portal and he can also take others with him, as he warped not only himself but also the entire Black Order after having the Power Stone slowly blow away the Statesman and can also forcibly warp others along with him with ease, as he effortlessly took both him and Gamora despite her resistance to his ship and later Vormir, as well as being able to use the portals to influence other locations without directly being there, doing so to send the Power Stone's energies to the moon and then send the pieces through the portal, with his precise control over the portals even allowing him to remove an object attached to him if he so desires, as he removed Stormbreaker from his chest upon warping away from Wakanda. He could create compression forces strong enough to create singularities that sucks up anything within close proximity, as shown when he summoned a devastating vortex that gathered up all in it's path and sent it at Doctor Strange, which Strange could not block and was forced to transmute it into a multitude of blue butterflies to repel it, funnel the kinetic force of oncoming projectile attacks to make them harmless and then gather them and redirect them, as he harmlessly funnel the kinetic energy of Iron Man's projectiles before sending it back at the hero, create force fields that can easily disintegrate bullets, as he easily destroyed multiple shots from War Machine, and even has the sufficient skill to alter the space between molecules, allowing him to make others intangible and just as easily make them solid again, as he easily phased Hulkbuster through him and stone before making him solid again to trap him. Thanos was also able to skillfully use the Stone as a powerful form of telekinesis, warping the fabric of space around objects in order to manipulate and move them with a single gesture. He was able to instantly freeze Loki mid-stab with ease, effortlessly crush the guns on War Machine's armor, knock down Falcon, and produce force fields powerful enough to repel the energy of Scarlet Witch as a means of defense. His Space Stone induced telekinesis was so strong that he was able to telekinetically pull the shattered fragments of Titan's moon across space to rain down on the attacking Avengers during the Battle of Titan.
- Reality Manipulation: Upon acquiring the Reality Stone and inserting it into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over reality, allowing him to warp the very fabric of reality itself to be whatever he desires, as he himself boasted to Gamora. He has shown to have a full understanding and mastery over the Reality Stone's powers, surpassing even Malekith, capable of using it to warp reality to such a degree as to create highly elaborate physical simulations and illusions of false realities over a wide range of influence, as evidenced when Thanos was able to create a false illusion of himself interrogating the Collector in a completely deserted Knowhere, in order to fool the approaching Guardians of the Galaxy and mask the colony's true status as burning down and utterly ruined, which was so convincing that the illusionary self of Thanos can be physically interacted with, with Gamora being able to fight and even kill the false Thanos. He later conjured another illusion to Doctor Strange, showing the planet Titan in its peaceful prime, in a time before it became an uninhabited wasteland. He can make himself invisible using the Reality Stone, as he first spoke to Gamora unseen before revealing himself shortly after undoing the illusion. Thanos can also use the Reality Stone to warp and transmute matter and object into anything he desires, even being able to do this to living organisms, as he effortlessly incapacitated Guardians Drax and Mantis by temporarily warping their physical bodies, splitting Drax's body into pieces and turning Mantis into still-conscious strips of flesh. While he did this by sending a beam from the Reality Stone, he can also silently do this and without needing to fire a beam, as when Star-Lord reluctantly attempted to execute his teammate and lover, Gamora, to prevent her capture by Thanos, the Titan silently transmuted his Quad Blasters to harmlessly fire bubbles, before transforming the weapon itself into bubbles, and would later do the same to Gamora's dagger on Vormir to prevent her committing suicide. Thanos can use this very effectively in combat, as evidenced when he fought in Titan and Wakanda, transmuting a field of ship wreckage into a swarm of bats to attack Iron Man. He can also manipulate the earth with the stone, spawning a cage of stone pillars to trap Black Widow and pulling the surface of Titan itself to pull Doctor Strange into his hand. Upon completing the Infinity Gauntlet, thus reaching the highest level of power the Reality Stone can exert, he became able to warp reality to such an extent that he was even able to cause the bodies of others to turn to dust at a global scale, even while severely injured, causing the victims of his genocide to disintegrate to ashes, with just a snap of his fingers.
- Energy Manipulation: After inserting the Power Stone into his Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over the destructive force of the universe, giving him vast energy-manipulating powers. Due to his strong understanding of the Power Stone's capabilities, Thanos was able to use it for more diverse and versatile capabilities, with the Stone becoming one of his most versatile and often-used in combat for its destructive potential. Thanos' control over the energy of the Power Stone can allow him to infuse it into the Gauntlet, with it being strong enough to shatter a gateway to the Mirror Dimension sent to him by Doctor Strange. With a single gesture from the Gauntlet, Thanos is able to manipulate and specifically unleash the Stone's power to charge objects with unstable energy, causing them to overload and violently detonate. Thanos makes common use of this ability due to its versatility and combat potential, as he is able to control the time and size of the detonation, whether instantly or slowly as Thanos used the Stone to slowly overload and detonate the damaged Statesman after retrieving the Space Stone, giving himself time to teleport him and his Children out and later used the Stone's energy and versatile destructive powers to devastating effect, violently and instantly detonating a ruined spaceship fragment that was dropped on him by Iron Man. He can even exert such powerful energy that it was even powerful enough to rip apart the surface of Titan's moon with its sheer power. Thanos can also unleash tremendously powerful blasts or waves of the Stone's explosive energy, applying powerful concussive force or outright destroying objects with its volatile power. A wild shockwave of energy was able to knock out Star-Lord, Drax and Nebula instantaneously, with all three individuals having great superhuman resilience, while a few concussive waves were enough to effortlessly repel attacks and blast away the majority of the opposing Avengers during the Battle of Wakanda. The Stone's energy could also be concentrated into direct beams of power with enough power to be capable of cleaving through structures with ease, forcing back a shielded Iron Man, and heavily damaging the Avenger's armor with a single point-blank blast. Thanos could also use the stone for more subtle applications, such as exerting the energy upon others to torture them. During the Attack on the Statesman, Thanos utilized the Stone to torture an injured Thor, pushing the Stone into his head and causing the Asgardian excruciating pain using its energy. Used together with the Space Stone, Thanos also brutally tortured Nebula with its power, by telekinetically pulling her mechanical components apart while exposing her to the energy of the Power Stone. With the Power Stone, Thanos can also negate and redirect oncoming energy attacks, as he easily prevented Black Panther from using his kinetic energy pulse and redirected it to the earth when he struck the latter to the ground.
- Time Manipulation: After inserting the Time Stone into his Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over time. Quickly completely mastering the Time Stone's powers, while using it similarly to Doctor Strange's method, although he does not need Eldritch Magic and simply needs to clench the Gauntlet to activate the Time Manipulation Magic, causing the same symbol of the Eye of Agamotto to appear in the palm of his Gauntlet's hand and similarly conjuring said symbol as he uses it. His skill is shown to be far more refined than Doctor Strange's, as Thanos has the skill needed to rewind time with the level of finesse needed to truly recreate an object, even one as powerful as an Infinity Stone, while simultaneously resurrecting a being and keeping some from being affected by it, as he was able to recreate the events where Vision died, so as to resurrect Vision and recreate the Mind Stone, even after Wanda Maximoff had destroyed both of them, while also keeping the Avengers from being affected to prevent them from trying to stop him, whereas Doctor Strange could not truly recreate the stolen pages of the Book of Cagliostro with the Time Stone, although this may have been aided by the fact that the Time Stone was amplified by the Gauntlet already having 4 other Stones. At the height of the Time Stone's powers, with the Infinity Gauntlet having been completed, Thanos gains the ability to accelerate the time of living creatures at a global scale, even able to do this while badly wounded, with the victims of his genocide quickly aging and becoming decomposable brown corpses.
- Soul Manipulation: After inserting the Soul Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over souls as well as life and death, giving him divine authority over souls and the right to decide who lives and who dies. With the Soul Stone, Thanos can detect and attack the souls of others, allowing him to identify the real one among mystical replicas of others and attack them, as evidenced when he was able to tell which one is the real Doctor Strange and disperse his duplicates with a single burst of energy, also pushing the sorcerer's astral form out of his body for a while. Upon completing the Infinity Gauntlet and greatly enhancing the Soul Stone's powers as a result, Thanos gained the ability to induce death by wiping the very souls of his targets at a global scale to the point that, even with a severe injury, he still was able to use the Soul Stone in conjunction with the other Stones to successfully wipe out half of the universe, erasing the victim's souls from existence. This catastrophic event even claimed the lives of most of the Avengers and all of the Guardians of the Galaxy, with the exception of Rocket Raccoon and Nebula. The Soul Stone also can conjure dreams for Thanos to recover from exhaustion and speak with someone he cherishes, as after wiping out half of all life in the Universe, the sheer energy required to achieve such a feat nearly overwhelmed Thanos, and briefly sent him into a dream state caused by the Soul Stone itself, transporting his mind to a world consisting of a barren, infinite expanse of feet-high water under an orange sky. Within the dream world, Thanos saw himself as without the Gauntlet or his injuries sustained from Stormbreaker. Before returning to his senses, he was briefly able to communicate with a reflection of his deceased daughter, Gamora, standing under a Zen-Whoberi gateway - in the form of the young child she was when Thanos first met and adopted her - telling her of his final fulfillment of his lifelong goal and admitting to her the great cost and sacrifices made to achieve it.
- Death Inducement: This ability is Thanos' most terrifying and yet the mightiest demonstration of his true power. After completing the Gauntlet, Thanos becomes able to use the powers of the Reality, Time, and Soul Stones at such a vast scale as to wipe out half of the universe with just the snap of his fingers, successfully achieving this even after being severely wounded by Thor using Stormbreaker. The victims of the universal genocide quickly aged before turning into a brown decomposing corpse, disintegrating them and erasing them from their physical existence.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Even in his youth, Thanos was deemed a genius among his kind, despite his deformation. His long life allowed Thanos to refine his intellectual aptitude to the highest degree, making him exceptionally intelligent. Hence, due to Thanos' intellectual genius, he is among the most intelligent (if not the most intelligent) individuals in the universe. His intellect makes him incredibly lethal even without using his powers or fighting skills, as displayed by his ability to conquer many worlds. By simply using his manipulative and strategic skills, he indirectly causes the Battle of Xandar and Chitauri Invasion, both of which caused the formations of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers to fight their respective battles. All the while, Thanos remained effectively anonymous, so much so that even the extremely intelligent Iron Man was completely fooled into believing that Loki had no aid during his invasion, and with Doctor Strange initially not having Thanos on his list of otherworldly threats. It was only after Thor received a vision on the Infinity Stones that he was able to figure out Thanos' involvement, with Thor admitting that Thanos had been using his intellect to play a very intricate game and has effectively used the Avengers as pawns without them even realizing it until Thor saw the vision. Thanos was even clever enough to be considerably superior to Loki himself, as he easily outsmarted him on more than one occasion - he not only successfully used Loki as a pawn without the latter realizing it for a long time, but he was later also able to successfully finish off the God of Mischief by easily predicting that he would attempt an assassination and countering it casually. Thanos also easily deceived the Guardians of the Galaxy into letting their guard down, thus allowing Thanos to incapacitate them and capture Gamora. Thanos is also highly perceptive, as he is not fooled at all by Loki and easily saw through Gamora's lies that she never found the Soul Stone. It was his intelligence that allowed Thanos to prevent his arrogance from becoming his weakness, always able to quickly rebound from and overcome unexpected setbacks. However, his 2014 self lacked this trait and got killed by letting his anger at the 2018 Avengers get the best of him after they proved him wrong.
- Master of Manipulation: Thanos is an exceptionally skillful and experienced master of manipulation, quite possibly the best manipulator in the universe, as without leaving his throne, with superb manipulations of powerful beings alone, Thanos was able to cause the Battle of Xandar and Chitauri Invasion, which were among the most devastating battles ever known. He even managed to manipulate someone as intelligent as Loki, who was famous for his manipulation skills, with ease by using his distaste for Thor and Odin. Thor has said that Thanos has been playing a very intricate game for years with such efficiency that he has effectively manipulated the Avengers as pawns for his plans. Even against those who knew of his manipulative nature, Thanos's manipulation skills still proved to be capable of being effective, as shown by how he manipulated Gamora into telling him the Soul Stone's locations by using her love for Nebula to his advantage and torturing her in front of her sister and later on effortlessly manipulated Thor's desire for cruel revenge to make him believe he was killing him, doing so successfully enough to catch him completely off-guard upon revealing the truth.
- Master Tactician and Strategist: Thanos is an exceptionally accomplished strategist and tactician, with centuries of experience in using strategies, quite possibly the best master of tactical warfare currently in the universe. Thanos' mastery and experience in using strategy and tactics allows him to create extremely complex and well-coordinated plans and execute them effectively, with the strategies he created and employed being so effective that he gave the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy great trouble all the while remaining anonymous. Thanos is even a far more skilled tactician than Loki, who was famous for being a crafty genius in orchestrating cunning schemes, as he easily deceived the God of Mischief into becoming his minion and later easily predicted and outsmarted Loki's attempt to assassinate him and successfully finished him off. Thanos' strategical aptitude also allows him to accurately predict incoming events and effectively manipulate said events to his advantage, as he was able to anticipate the Guardians going to Knowhere to retrieve the Reality Stone and arrived there before they could prevent him from taking it. Thanos even went as far as to set up a brilliant trap for the Guardians by casting an illusion to fool them into believing that he is still torturing the Collector for the Reality Stone while in actuality he had acquired the Reality Stone long before they arrived, all the while easily manipulating Gamora using illusions specifically seen in her mind to lure her into emotionally charging at Thanos, which worked to a great effect, catching Gamora and the Guardians completely off-guard and allowing Thanos to successfully capture Gamora and escape from the Guardians uninjured. Thanos' strategical sense and abilities were honed enough to be used to devastating efficiency in the midst of combat, as he efficiently employed Titan's strong gravitational pull to separate much of his opponents by breaking and launching the pieces of Titan's moon at his enemies from the atmosphere and allowing Thanos to engage and overpower Doctor Strange and Iron Man, eventually culminating in Strange being forced to surrender the Time Stone to Thanos. Thanos can also swiftly think his way out of debilitating situations, as after Scarlet Witch destroyed the Mind Stone, Thanos was unfazed, due to now having the Time Stone, and swiftly reversed time prior to Vision's destruction while taking care as to not include the heroes in the time reversal to prevent them from attempting to stop him, thus allowing Thanos to finally complete the Gauntlet and render Vision's sacrifice in vain. Even after Thor severely wounded him, Thanos was able to use Thor's vendetta against him to manipulate and fool him, as despite still being able to function enough to activate the completed Gauntlet, he let Thor vengefully gloat and attack him to convince him he was killing him before revealing that he will still live and can still accomplish his mission by mocking Thor for not aiming for his head, catching Thor off-guard and stunning him long enough that Thanos was able to snap his fingers before Thor could react. Before his death on the Garden, Thanos used the Infinity Stones' power against themselves to reduce them to atoms in order to prevent the Avengers from undoing the Snap, thereby securing his victory. The 2014 Thanos also displayed a similar aptitude for quickly forming strategies in the midst of combat, as he swiftly came up with a plan to have 2014 Nebula impersonate her future self from 2023 and infiltrate the New Avengers Facility, providing a target for the Sanctuary II. He also instantly devised a plan to subdue the Scarlet Witch after getting overpowered by her by having his armies fire at both himself and her, successfully freeing himself, used his sword to destroy Luis' van to compensate his inability to get to Captain Marvel fast enough to prevent her from escaping, and when briefly overtaken by Captain Marvel, Thanos was able to tactically remove the Power Stone from the Gauntlet to use it against her, finally besting her.
- Master Leader: Thanos is an extremely skilled leader, with a large amount of charisma despite his intimidating persona, inspiring absolute loyalty to the violent and powerful armies of Chitauri and Outriders and members of the Black Order. He is known for having easily decimated dozens of species with his powerful army, killing the Zenohebrei and Luphomoid species.
- Polymath: Thanos is also shown to be considerably well-versed in many subjects: His mathematic appitude allowed him to accurately predict that his people and planet was about to be devastated due to overpopulation, which he claims to be a simple calculus to him. He was extremely brilliant in the fields of science and technology, having been able to develop what was among the most advanced technologies in the universe to be used by his army. He was also able to manipulate the energies of the Tesseract far away to allow Loki to invade Earth. Thanos was even aware that time-travel is possible, having educated Nebula in such practices, knowing that changing the past does not affect one's future and able to quickly compose himself after learning that the future Nebula carried a timestamp and recognize it as being caused by time-travel. He was also able to easily deduce from his knowledge of time-travel that the Avengers cannot stop what he would do in the future by defeating him in the past and their true goal was to undo what he had already did, as they can still retrieve usable duplicates of the Infinity Stones from before they were destroyed to reverse his Snap. His genius even allowed him to swiftly reverse-engineer the Pym Particles to travel to the future with help from Ebony Maw's magic, producing enough for his fleet to time-travel to the future.
- Master Martial Artist: Thanos wielded supreme fighting prowess and millennia worth of fighting experience, easily the deadliest fighter in the universe. His fighting style is brutal, relentless but extremely fluid and capable of adapting to suit the situation. He was able to easily fight off and quickly force back both Doctor Strange using a sword made of Eldritch Magic, and Drax with his knives while his right eye was blinded by a web cotton, easily fight off and swiftly pummel Spider-Man with only one hand while his other hand was restricted by the Cloak of Levitation) and easily defeat and grievously wound Iron Man (despite Iron Man's nanotech Mark L armor and sword, which he easily disarmed and used to land the severe wound), with only Doctor Strange's intervention saving Iron Man from death. Additionally, Thanos easily countered Black Panther's charge by choking him with a single hand and then pummeled him to the ground with a single punch, as well as effortlessly defeated and knocked out Captain America with a single blow. Most impressively, Thanos was even able to defeat and beat Hulk (the former undefeatable champion of the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions) to a bloody pulp with ease with well-coordinated attacks, something Iron Man could only do after a long battle and a moment of distraction, as well as defeat a fully-empowered Thor without much effort. It was only with a sneak attack that Thor, armed with Stormbreaker, was able to land a severe wound on Thanos, but even then the Mad Titan was able to quickly recover. The 2014 Thanos was able to easily repeatedly knock around Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man while also using his sword, with him not only easily downing Rogers and Stark unarmed but even overpowering Thor upon being disarmed of his sword when he was armed with Stormbreaker and soundly pummeling him. He was also able to surpass and ultimately defeat Captain Marvel and could overpower both Thor using both Mjolnir and his axe and Rogers ultimately. One should note, however, that he only beat Carol because he outsmarted her; not because he was the more skilled/powerful fighter.
- Master Swordsman: Thanos was an extremely skilled swordsman, using a double-edged sword as his main weapon, with which he was able to easily fight off the combined assault of Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man, including the latter's lasers, even when powered by Thor's lightning, before being disarmed by Thor and near-entirely pressure Captain America into the defensive and soon gain the upper hand and break his shield. He was also able to use it skillfully to deflect energy projections from Scarlet Witch and nearly managed to defeat her, pushing the sword dangerously close to her neck, forcing her to use her powers to disarm him. He can throw it with dangerous accuracy, even able to achieve a boomerang-like effect, as he accurately threw it at Thor and it quickly returned to him after he missed, hit the superhumanly fast Black Panther in mid-air and even outpaced Captain Marvel to Luis's Van.
- Torturer: Thanos is shown to be highly accomplished in many fields of torture, with his skills in torture being quite famous, as the Other implied Thanos can cause so much suffering to Loki that he would beg for pain itself. His mastery of torturing techniques allows him to inflict the maximum amount of damage without killing the subject, as when he tortured Nebula to make Gamora give up the location of the Soul Stone, Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet to painfully pull apart Nebula's cybernetic implants, but he was casually able to avoid truly ripping the necessary implants apart in order to cause her severe pain without killing her. The torture was effective enough that Gamora fairly quickly gave in and told Thanos the location of the Soul Stone to spare Nebula from further torture.
Being among the most powerful and notorious, if not, the most notorious, warlord in the galaxy, said to be the equivalent of Genghis Khan of the entire universe, Thanos had access to what was described as the greatest weaponry in the universe.
- Thanos's Armor: A golden battle suit forged from an incredibly strong metal that Thanos wore for extra protection in the battlefield. It is clearly extremely durable, as it was able to withstand what must have been extensive usage by it's master with no signs of damage, even taking blows from Thor and Hulk with no damage, the stick Thor used to attack Thanos's helmet even breaking from the impact of hitting it. He discarded it once he acquired the Space Stone but kept it and used it for the peaceful purpose of being a makeshift scarecrow after retiring. His 2014 self also wore the armor when going to the future and it proved useful to take blows from Captain America, even when he was using Mjolnir, with no damage, though he did suffer enough damage after repeated attacks that his helmet was broken, but was ultimately badly damaged by Scarlet Witch, though it remained functional enough to protect Thanos from Stormbreaker before it was ultimately destroyed when Iron Man disintegrated Thanos and his armies.
- Thanos's sword: A double-bladed weapon that used to be Thanos's primary weapon before he acquired the Infinity Gauntlet. Capable of being used effectively by Thanos with his extreme physical power and skill, both as a melee weapon and as a throwing weapon that returned to Thanos's hands like a boomerang, it is said to have been forged out of Uru and proved to be superior to Mjolnir and at least comparable to Stormbreaker, both weapons being said to be masterpieces of the Dwarves and forged of the same metal, as it was able to effortlessly tank Iron Man's strongest armor lasers. match Stormbreaker when Thanos used it against Thor and even shatter Captain America's Vibranium shield, which Mjolnir couldn't even dent. However, it was ultimately sheared off in half by Scarlet Witch but the halves were functionable enough to be used by Thanos to destroy the Quantum Tunnel, although destroying the half in process.
- Infinity Gauntlet & Infinity Stones: Six of the most powerful artifacts in the universe, the Infinity Stones were Thanos's most primary objective in his crusade to wipe out half the universe. Upon deciding to hunt the Infinity Stones himself, Thanos had the Dwarves create the Infinity Gauntlet to allow him to harness the power of the Infinity Stones, his extreme power allowing him to easily wield the Stones in the Gauntlet without strain. He likewise has proven himself to have mastered the powers of the Infinity Stones to a level beyond any previous user. Being forged of Uru allowed it to withstand having all six Stones embedded into it and Thanos ultimately succeeded in acquiring all the Stones in Infinity War and installing them inside the Infinity Gauntlet, at which point he then finally completed his goal, but severely damaging it, causing it to be quite badly burned but remained functional enough to allow him to escape and heal himself. To secure his victory, Thanos used the stones' collective power to reduce them to atoms and the Gauntlet, though surviving, was left even more heavily damaged and fused to his arm. It served no other purpose but as it has already been fused to his arm, Thanos continued to wear it, using it to pick up crops and lastly block Captain Marvel's Photon Blast before it along with his arm was cut off. The 2014 Thanos also got the chance to wield the nano-tech version of the Infinity Gauntlet made by Tony Stark temporarily, which proved to be enough to fend off Captain Marvel for a while, but before Thanos could complete his new goal to destroy and recreate the universe, Tony stole the Stones from the Gauntlet and disintegrated Thanos along with the gauntlet.
- Power Stone: The first of the Infinity Stones Thanos acquired after reigning against Xandar for access. The Stone representing the fabric of Power, it proved to be Thanos’s most frequently used, with Thanos proving himself to be a verstaile user of the Stone, not only capable of projecting dangerously potent amounts of energy in the form of blasts and waves, which he can even focus to form protective force-fields and mimic telekinesis by pushing away his foes with the Stone’s energy, but even able to control the energy to enhance his strength, to the point of shattering a dimensional gateway to the Mirror Dimension, and charge and overload objects with it’s unstable energy, which he extends to being able to control the size and time of the detonation.
- Space Stone: The second of the Infinity Stones Thanos acquired after crushing the Tesseract upon Loki giving it to him. Gaining control over the fabric of space, while mainly using it to open portals to teleport from one location to another, allowing instant travel between planets without needing his ship anymore, which he also displayed the ability to precisely control the size and amount of attraction of the portals, Thanos’s mastery proved extensive enough to wield the Space Stone in combat liberally, able to skillfully generate powerful spatial pressure to crush, pull and freeze objects and even people, which was among Thanos’s most often used, and even effects such as making objects intangible, creating devastating singularities, and also manipulate the Stone’s energies to create forcefields.
- Reality Stone: The third of the Infinity Stones Thanos acquired from Knowhere after taking it from the Collector. Gaining control over the fabric of reality, Thanos proved capable of achieving esoteric effects with the Reality Stone, masterfully warping reality to mislead and disable opponents in unpredictable ways, able to create illusions and warp and transmute matter to transform the environment and even enemies weapons to his liking.
- Soul Stone: The fourth of the Infinity Stones Thanos acquired on Vormir after heart-breakingly sacrificing Gamora. Due to it’s esoteric powers over the soul and cycle of life and death, it proved to be the least used Stone. Thanos only displayed the power to detect and attack souls as well as conjure a spiritual manifestation of the dead in it’s pocket dimension, in particular summoning Gamora’s soul that he sacrificed.
- Time Stone: The fifth of the Infinity Stones Thanos acquired from Doctor Strange. With it, Thanos was now able to bend time itself to his will, able to reverse a particular event that he witnessed, which even extended to being able to heal from fatal wounds by undoing the damage done to his body.
- Mind Stone: The last Infinity Stone Thanos acquired after killing Vision to get the Mind Stone out of his forehead, but he was never able to show his mastery of it.
Minions of Thanos
|Victims killed by Thanos|
Snap (revived by Hulk)
HISHE Avengers Infinity War
Thanos makes an appearance in HISHE's How Avengers Infinity War Should Have Ended. Thanos and Gamora travel to Vormir, where Gamora reveals that the Soul Stone is at the bottom of a lake of acid lava. He turns the lake into bubbles, but cannot find the stone. Gamora thinks it was turned into bubbles as well. Thanos tells Gamora that Nebula will pay for this. They teleport back to his base, where they find out that Nebula has in fact, managed to escape. Doctor Strange goes forward in time to see all the possible outcomes that the Avengers win. They win five. The first time, Strange uses a cloak of levitation and sling-ring, allowing him to sever the Gauntlet arm. The second time, the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy are trying to pin Thanos down, until Strange turns Thanos into a baby Thanos. Drax decides to kill him, but Spider-Man tells him not to since he was just a baby. Iron Man takes him home. The third time, Thanos confesses that he murdered Gamora. Quill is enraged, causing Nebula to knock him out. Iron Man and Thanos pull off the Infinity Gauntlet. Nebula puts it on and kills Thanos. Nebula takes it off and Strange carries it away. The fourth time, the Avengers and the Wakandan forces defeat Thanos's army. The fifth time, Thor attacks Thanos using Strombreaker and stabs him with it. Thanos says "You should have aimed for the head". Thor replies by saying "Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. But then, I thought...Nah!!! the arm is good". The scene then sees that Stormbreaker has infact chopped off the Infinity Gauntlet. Later, while boasting about the victory and their pasts, Thor snaps his fingers twice, and Rocket Raccoon tells him off. Later, a wounded Thanos is seen sitting in a pub (with a bandage on his arm and an array of drinks the colour of the Stones) alongside the other villains like The Joker, Lord Voldemort and Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine. Suddenly, people in the pub start to disintegrate including General Zod , Poison Ivy, Jason Voorhees, Bane, 2013's Khan Noonien Singh, Magneto, a Xenomorph, a Predator, Maleficent, Thanos, The Joker, Lord Voldemort, Pennywise, Electro and Jaws . Palpatine sends for Deadpool using a modified pager (similar to Nick Fury's one in Avengers: Infinity War) before he disintegrates as well.
|“||The end is near.||„|
|~ Thanos, upon obtaining the Infinity Gauntlet|
Thanos appears in the 2017 free-to-play game, Fortnite, where players get to play Thanos by obtaining the Infinity Gauntlet. He was first released back in 2018 as an event exclusive promote Avengers: Infinity War then later re-released in 2019 to promote Avengers: Endgame, along with a couple of new content in a patch.
Any of the players can become Thanos by picking up the Infinity Gauntlet and stay as him until victory or death, upon which a different player can pick up the Gauntlet to become Thanos.
HISHE Avengers Endgame
Thanos makes an appearance in HISHE's How Avengers Endgame Should Have Ended. Thanos confronted the Avengers, but was decapitated by Thor midway through his "I will shred the universe down to its last atom" speech.
- Thanos was originally much less of an openly malevolent villain than his comic book counterpart but as of Endgame he began to display a personality much more akin to that of the comic book Thanos, including sadism and a desire to end the universe entirely after seeing that his ideal method to fix the universe would be rejected no matter how hard he tried - thus abandoning his previous ideals of "fairness" in regards to how he killed. There are constrating differences between the present and the past Thanos :
- Present Thanos was honorable, sympathetic and respectful of his enemies (mostly Iron Man and Star Lord), the past Thanos was more arrogant and disrespectful of them.
- 2018 Thanos relied on the Infinity Stones to fight his opponents, while the 2014 one fought with raw skills and weapons.
- According to producer Kevin Feige, Infinity War would explore Thanos' plans and motives, even saying "you could go as far as to say he's the main character".
- In the comics, Thanos was the master of the Infinity Gauntlet, which he used in the eponymous series in an attempt to court Death. He has no relationships with Loki nor the Chitauri, but he is nevertheless one of the Avengers' most historical foes. When he took a break from being a conqueror, Thanos was entrusted with the Reality Gem of the Infinity Gems.
- In the Amalgam Comics imprint, Loki's counterpart, L'ok D'saad served Thanos' counterpart, Thanoseid.
- The name "Thanos" is based on the name of the mythological Greek figure Thanatos, meaning "death", a reference to his obsession with Death.
- Thanos is clearly the Bigger Bad of the Avengers film series, as he is the one responsible for providing Loki with the Mind Stone and an army to invade Earth in the first film, and that the Mind Stone is what gave Ultron free will to rebel against the Avengers in the second film.
- Thanos is the only villain who has interacted with every major hero in the franchise; as he was responsible for the events depicted in The Avengers (which featured all the major heroes of Phase One) and is the mastermind behind Guardians of the Galaxy before going on to proceed in meeting them all in Infinity War.
- In Thor, which was released a year before The Avengers, the Infinity Gauntlet makes a cameo in Odin's vault. This one was for the right hand, but the one seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron was for the left hand. Producer Kevin Feige confirmed after the movie's release that there were two, and the one Thanos has is not the one from Thor.
- However, in Thor: Ragnarok, the Infinity Gauntlet in Odin's Vault was retconned to be a fake replica by Hela, Odin's firstborn daughter when she was walking through the vault, meaning that there truly is only one Infinity Gauntlet.
- The involvement of Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy was largely influenced by The Avengers director Joss Whedon; the early script by Nicole Perlman had Thanos appear as the Guardians' primary foe, but Whedon was convinced that he should be downsized. In addition, Whedon says that it was his idea to include him in The Avengers, but found him the most difficult character to write, ironically. He also helped Guardians of the Galaxy writer and director James Gunn cast Josh Brolin as the character.
- Josh Brolin based his portrayal of Thanos on the performance of Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.
- Thanos is one of the seven villains of the MCU to actually succeed in his plans, as he finally collected all of the Infinity Stones and wiped out half of the universe's populace. The other ones are Loki (who took control of Asgard in Thor: The Dark World), Helmut Zemo (who has managed to split the Avengers apart in revenge for his family's demise in Captain America: Civil War), Surtur (who has managed to destroy Asgard), Erik Killmonger (who managed to get Wakanda to distribute the Vibranium around the world to help people in Black Panther), Ghost (who has managed to obtain quantum energy to cure herself from a fatal disease in Ant-Man and the Wasp), and Mysterio (who has managed to frame Spider Man as his murderer and expose his true identity to the world in Spider-Man: Far from Home).
- Thanos appeared in a drawing by Thor in the non-canon web series Team Thor, which serves as a cross-promotion for Thor: Ragnarok, on a wall of pictures and information in an attempt to deduce who "the man in the purple chair" is, noting that he's "big", he's purple, and "he doesn't like standing up".
- At 29 minutes, Thanos has the most amount of screen time of any character in Avengers: Infinity War, beating Gamora (19 minutes), Iron Man (18 minutes), and Thor (14 minutes).
- In Avengers: Infinity War, Thanos massacres half of the Zenhoberi race and states they are now filled with "children that see clear skies with full bellies". However, in Guardians of the Galaxy, Gamora's rap sheet states she is the last remaining member of her people. When the Russo brothers were asked about this during a Q&A, they only asked in return whether you believe Gamora or Thanos, implying one of them is not telling the truth.
- Though it is possible that the rest of the Zenhoberi died after Thanos visited the planet.
- In 2019, to celebrate the release of Avengers: Endgame, Google implemented an Easter egg where, if Thanos was searched, users could click on an icon of the Infinity Gauntlet and make half of the search results vanish into dust. Clicking the Gauntlet again resulted in it using the Time Stone to bring all of the lost results back.
- Various promotional and conceptual artwork, as well as merchandises, depict Thanos with his original Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers: Endgame, despite not actually wearing it in said movie as it was damaged and left on Titan II.
- He does wear the Iron Gauntlet that was crafted by Iron Man, however, albeit for a short amount of time.
- Marvel Studios did a cross-promotion with the video game Fortnite, resulting in Thanos appearing as a playable character in the game. In Avengers: Endgame, Thor, Korg, and Miek play Fortnite.
- Thanos being beheaded by Thor is a reference to the recent death of Thanos in comics when Gamora beheaded Thanos in Infinity Wars Prime #1.
- Thanos being Iron Man's personal archenemy in the MCU lies on Thanos' original appearance as an Iron Man villain back in 1973.
- Thanos is also the derivation of a Abelisaurid dinosaur genus Thanos simonattoi described in 2018.
- Thanos shares some similarities to Ego; They are both the last of their kind from powerful beings, sought after infinite power and ready to use their own children, and to sacrifice those they loved most to achieve their goals even if it hurts them. However, Ego's goal was motivated by his narcissism by assimilating all the universe while Thanos' goal was much more altruist, driven by his desire to save the Universe from overpopulation. While Ego hides his monstrous personality and intentions behind a cheerful facade, Thanos is genuinely polite and he says openly his acts are ruthless but necessary. Ego is gregarious while Thanos is more reserved. Thanos for all his faults has a sense of honor and respect for his enemies if they really impress him, while Ego saw all the other forms of life as under him, even his own son Peter being ultimately only a means to his end.
- Coincidentally, Thanos' 2014 plan in Avengers: Endgame to wipe out all life in the universe after realizing that his belief about killing only half to allow the survivors to thrive without the danger of overpopulation was wrong is fairly similar to what Ego's Expansion would have consisted of. However, the big difference is Thanos planned to rebuilt an universe teeming with independent life while Ego' potentials lifes would just be extensions of himself.
- Thanos died twice in the same movie. He is also one of the many villains to be killed by the power he sought, the power he sought being the Infinity Stones in Avengers: Endgame.