|“||Ahh! Fresh meat!||„|
|~ The Butcher|
The Butcher is an infamous boss-level demon from Diablo who used to terrorize players during the original run of the game, as a nod to this Blizzard brought The Butcher back in Diablo III as a boss and although not as difficult as before he was still a force to reckon with.
The Butcher is a unique and powerful Overlord demon who terrorized the townsfolk of Tristram with the aid of Lazarus, who would callously lead many townsfolk to the Butcher's liar where the monster would horrifically mutilate and kill them, hanging their bodies up much like a butcher would fresh meat.
This coupled with the Butcher's great power made him a greatly feared opponent but he was eventually slain, in the roleplaying game based on the video-game it is suggested he may of been a servant of Andariel.
A new demon carrying the title of "The Butcher" is summoned by the witch Maghda in Diablo III and becomes an Act Boss, necessary to complete the game. As such players have no option but to fight the monstrous demon as it attacks them on Maghda's behalf: like the original Butcher it views humans as a source of food and is extremely aggressive.
- The Butcher has garnered infamy among Diablo players due to his frightening appearance and being extremely difficult to defeat for an inexperienced and low level character. He is also the first Boss in the series (after Diablo himself) to gain a sort of cult following.
- The Overwatch character, Roadhog, was given a skin that is based on the Butcher from Diablo (specifically his design from Diablo III) as part of the patch released on January 23, 2018.
- Jeff Kaplan had noted some of the similarities between the two characters, such as the fact that they carry hooks and their behemoth size, hence why he gave Roadhog the skin.
- The Smith and Hephasto the Armorer in Diablo II were inspired by the Butcher and fulfill a similiar role as boss demons to defeat.
- A creature similiar to the Butcher (also called the Butcher) in Diablo appears in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, in the final level of the Blood Elf Campaign.