This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||I was the beginning, and I will be the end. I will be all that there is.||„|
|~ The Darkness, a.k.a Amara.|
The Darkness, also called "Amara", is the overarching antagonist of the CW television series Supernatural, considering the fact that she's the one responsible for Lucifer's corruption. She first debuts in the Season 10 finale "Brother's Keeper" and serves as the main antagonist of Season 11 and arguably the overarching antagonist of Seasons 9 and 10. Amara later returns as a supporting character in Season 15 where Billie, the current embodiment of Death, reveals that both God and the Darkness must be killed to save the universe from destruction by God. This is because if only one dies, everything comes to an end. During this time, Amara reveals that she and her brother are twins and their separation caused the Big Bang and the creation of everything.
When incarnated in human form, it was portrayed by Emily Swallow (who also played Belinda Zalman in the Beauty and the Beast TV series) as a grown woman, Gracyn Shinyei as a prepubescent girl, Yasmeene Ball as a pre-teen, and Samantha Isler as a teenager.
Powers and Abilities
- Immortality: According to Death, the Darkness predates everything, including God Himself. She is an ageless and invulnerable force that can never die, and was never truly alive to begin with. However it's been stated that she can die as she asked her brother God to kill her.
- Nigh-Omnipotence: While her full powers are unknown, she managed to battle against her brother, God, and His Archangels for an unknown amount of time, and Death was willing to make sure the Mark of Cain wasn't broken. Considering the force it took just to fight her back and imprison her, the Darkness is the most powerful evil force in the Supernatural universe.
- Cosmic Awareness: Being older than God Himself, the Darkness knows many things, and is still learning about the Universe which God made while she was locked away. However, she was immediately able to speak the English language.
- Omnipresence (formerly): According to her she was once all there was. She announced that she will one day re-establish that state.
- Reality Warping: While she conversed with Dean, her smoke form was still expanding, causing immense winds. However, they were completely unaffected by them, indicating that she has tremendous control over the physical Universe. Her power was evident when she turned a water fountain into blood. She can even turn angels to dust with a wave of her hand. She was also able to restore Mary Winchester's body, despite it getting destroyed by Azazel over thirty years ago.
- Flight: The Darkness, while disembodied, can fly in a similar manner to demons and angels without a vessel.
- Indestructibility: Being immortal, the Darkness is the only conscious thing that will exist forever.
- Invulnerability: Considering her ability to stand against God and His Archangels, the Darkness can be assumed to have an immense resilience for physical and supernatural attacks that likely constitutes invincibility.
- Weather Manipulation: As The Darkness expanded on Earth, it caused strong and powerful winds. The Darkness caused a deadly storm with her mind which caused lightning strikes that burned people to skeletons.
- Apporting: She was able to teleport Dean out of his car without merely a word. Later, she apported him from a city to the country side.
- Telekinesis: In the form of Amara, the Darkness displayed telekinesis. She also forced an angel to kill himself with his Angel Blade.
- Resurrection: Amara was able to bring Mary Winchester back to life with no effort which is notable as the latter had been dead for over thirty years.
- Corrupting Affect: The Darkness' presence is a corrupting force to whatever it comes in contact with. It corrupted the Mark of Cain to a curse that would make killing the host impossible, even for Death, an entity that was immensely strong and powerful in his own right. It also corrupted anyone with the Mark into a killer. When released, those who came in contact with the pure form of the Darkness turned into a meaningless killer. Reaper Billie told Sam that he was "unclean" in the biblical sense from being infected by a rabid aside from his actions like his part in killing Death.
- Empathy: The Darkness can feel and influence the emotions of humans and the human soul.
- Super Strength: The Darkness was easily able to throw a grown man with enough force to kill him.
- Smiting: Just by raising her hand, the Darkness was able to kill an angel with a similar effect to an Angel Blade.
- Soul Consumption: The Darkness can suck the souls out of living beings to feed herself.
- Necessary Existence: As the embodiment of Darkness, her existence is necessary to have the balance of the Universe be maintained, Light (God) needs Dark, and Dark needs Light. If Amara were to be killed, the Universe would fall into utter destruction.
- High-Tier Entities: God, with the combined strength of the Archangels, was strong enough to bind the Darkness and seal her with a lock.
- The Mark of Cain was the "lock" to the prison that held the Darkness back. As long as one person bore the Mark, the Darkness would remain sealed. With its removal, the Darkness was set free once more.
- The Darkness is similar to many terms and entities found in many creation myths.
- Chaos/Nun in Greek/Egyptian mythology, which predated everything and created or was from the gods or the gods themselves once came from it.
- From the quote in the Bible's Book of Genesis "And God said let there be light."
- Erebus and Nyx/Nox in Greco-Roman Mythology, Erebus being the male primordial embodiment of darkness, and Nyx/Nox being the female primordial embodiment of night/darkness.
- Ginnungagap from the Norse Creation Myth, was a primordial void.
- The terrible battle between God and the Darkness seems to fit with the first day of creation in Genesis. "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness." It is possible that the "light" he created was the archangels, and him he separating the "light" and "dark" was Him locking away the Darkness.
- God and Amara, light and dark, are essentially the embodiment of the Chinese philosophical concept of Yin and Yang, with Amara representing Yin (darkness, femininity), and God representing Yang (light, masculinity). In addition, Yin and Yang are interdependent and one cannot be without the other, similarly to how if either God or Amara die, the other dies as well.
- The name "Amara" occurs in many cultures and is ascribed a variety of meanings: "eternal" (German), "unfading" (Greek), "immortal" (Sanskrit) and "bitter" (Latin). In Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malaysia, the word amarah means anger. In Ethiopian legends, Amara is the name for paradise.
- The Darkness's release was felt by both Michael and Lucifer from within the Cage, marking the first time since their imprisonment that both archangels have attempted to communicate with the outside world.
- She is the true source of where Knights of Hell come from, channeled through The Mark of Cain itself.
- Since she was sealed by and bound to the Mark of Cain, she is likely the true source of power of The First Blade.
- The Darkness is the fourth entity either that was sealed away to be unleashed, the first being a huge number of demons, the second being Lucifer himself, and the third being the Leviathans.
- Like previous major antagonists (Lucifer and the Leviathans), The Darkness was sealed by God and released as either unknown or unintended consequences by the series protagonists (Dean, Sam and Castiel) in their efforts to beat other antagonists or solve a major problem at the time such as Lilith, Raphael, and The Mark of Cain.
- The Darkness predates the Universe.
- The Darkness is older than God Himself, as stated by Death. This makes The Darkness the oldest being to ever exist in the Supernatural universe.
- She is the first non-corporeal being to manifest herself in a human form that she eventually gains before possessing a host or her birth as Amara.
- After Crocotta, Shtriga and Famine, The Darkness is the third being in the series to consume or absorb human souls and demons for nourishment. However; unlike them, it seems her consumption of souls is also her effort to make individuals that she likes a part of her and assimilate their traits into herself rather than simple nourishment.
- The Darkness/Amara always puts her hands around the necks or the faces of her victims before consuming their souls. This implies she requires physical contact with her targets in order to initiate the process to extract souls.
- Releasing The Darkness is overall easier than freeing Lucifer, but the spell to release the Mark was not even known up until recently, previously making removing the Mark impossible. In contrast, it was known Lucifer could be freed, but very hard to do, whereas the Darkness was believed to be eternally bound. However once the spell was revealed it was relatively easy to release.
- Its release set off alarms in Heaven and Hell (and likely Purgatory) that, according to angels and demons, hadn't gone off in 'Ever'.
- As of "Baby", monsters are now becoming aware of the Darkness' existence, and that it is coming. Some are now building armies to make a stand and buy more time to survive. Now humans, angels, demons, monsters, and even witches know of the Darkness' release and are very scared of it. It is also possible that Pagans and ghosts have also become aware of its existence.
- The Darkness has since been revealed to be God's older sister, whom He was forced to betray in order to bring about Creation and the Universe.
- Being God's sister and only kin makes her his only direct relative, unlike every other beings in the series that are only indirectly related to him due to being his creations.
- Despite being God's sister and equal if not superior to him in raw power, she is not capable of finding him anymore than angels or anyone else.