|“||Sometimes I dream about that red space, tucked away in some part of some city, in the back of some warehouse. And I can see what's been left in there and I can see why it can never be let out. And I wake up and I know it's all true.||„|
|~ The caption for the original picture of the Man in the Red Room.|
The Man in the Red Room, also known as the Thing in the Red Space, is a monster made by Trevor Henderson. As the name implies, it's trapped in a red space/room.
The Man in the Red Room has first appeared on a post made by Trevor Henderson. Whoever is the narrator says that he again had the dream about “the red space”, tucked away in a part of an unknown city, in the back of a warehouse. He sees what's been left in there and knows why it can never be let out, hinting that the creature is a villain. Then, he wakes up, knowing it's all true. The picture shows the Man in his titular red room. It appears to be some thin monstrosity that is hanging upside-down from the ceiling. It has many holes in its body and its head is oriented right-side up, with a small piece of its body floating beneath its head to act as some sort of jaw. Interestingly it appears that the creature’s hands and feet are in the ceiling, as they are not visible in the image, implying that he can pass through walls. The caption implies that the Man in the Red Room is somehow imprisoned there.
The second time it has appeared was when an unknown number of people had to sit inside a bus and listen to the Man crawling along the outside of a bus. One person says "it was nothing if not patient," suggesting that the Man may have been waiting for the humans to exit the vehicle so that it could possibly do something horrible to them. The picture shows the Man looking through the bus window.
- The Man in the Red Room was created by Trevor Henderson, who is known for making various bizarre creatures over the internet. His other creations include Siren Head, Cartoon Cat, the Country Road Creature, the Bridge Worms, the Man with the Upside-Down Face, the Smile Room, Good Boy, the Lamb, the Fetid King, the Giants and Long Horse.
- It is unknown if the Man actually got out, or the second picture of him was chronologically taken before the first one.
- The two pictures look very different though, with the only thing they have in common being that they have many holes in their body. It is possible that they are two separate creatures, or that the Man can somehow change its appearance.
- In internet folklore, a Red Room is believed to be a place where criminals take victims to be tortured and killed on the Dark Web as part of a snuff film (like most urban legends, it is very questionable how many of these truly exist and they are largely considered a kind of internet ghost-story): the Man in the Red Room may be referencing this legend.
- Overall, the Man in the Red Room has no clear moral agency and has no goals whatsoever. It is possible it wants to escape the room to cause trouble to the real world, if not possibly murder people. The caption of its original appearance suggests that it is imprisoned in its red space for a reason, one that the narrator has recognized through his dream.
- On the other hand, it could possibly have a sympathetic background or even just wants to be let out for unknown reasons. Regardless, it has no clear moral agency, though the caption stating that the Man can never be let out suggests that he is villainous and a threat.