|“||You think you know pain, Asgardian? He will make you long for something as sweet as pain!||„|
|~ The Other describes Thanos' wrath.|
|“||The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world, a human world. They would wield its power, but our ally knows its workings as they never will. He is ready to lead, and our force, our Chitauri, will follow. The world will be his, the universe will be yours. And the humans, what can they do, but burn?||„|
|~ The Other to Thanos.|
The Avengers (2012)
The Other stays on the alien home world, telling Thanos that the universe will be his once he has the Tesseract, and in exchange Loki gains control of Earth. He has already placed the Scepter in his hands. The Other also warned Loki that if he failed to give Thanos the Tesseract, Thanos would find him and punish him.
After the army of Chitauri was destroyed, the mid-credits scene revealed that The Other and Thanos survived, as their area was separate from the one that got blown up. The Other informed Thanos that Loki failed because the humans fought back, and weren't as defenseless as he had thought. He told Thanos that to fight them would be to "court death". At this, Thanos decided to take matters into his own hands.
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
The Other called Ronan and Nebula over to Thanos's domain when Gamora betrayed them and the Orb was kept from them. Ronan argued with The Other, and raised his voice, to which The Other yelled at Ronan to lower his tone in front of Thanos. In response, Ronan used the power of his hammer to twist The Other's head 180 degrees, snapping his neck and killing him. Thanos took little notice of this, and starts speaking for himself.
Like most among the Black Order, The Other is loyal to his master and follows every command given to him. In turn, he enforces every command to his subordinates in Thanos' name. He underestimates humans due to having been told by Loki that they are weak. He derives delight in his authority over Loki, having to remind him that he was cast out and defeated. He over-exerts his authority sometimes, however, as a superiorly mighty and vibrant form of life compared to Loki such as Ronan would have far less patience with The Other, which turns out to be his fatal flaw.
Powers and Abilities
Alien Physiology: The Other seems to possess super speed, which he demonstrates to run over to Loki at one point in response to him reminding him that they do not yet have the Tesseract. He also causes pain in Loki's skull just by touching him with his fingers at one point. Not much of his power has been seen, however, as he is not seen in action as much and is original to the film series.
- In the comics, "The Other" was an alias of Chthon the Elder God. However, his appearance closely resembles that of Thanos' second-in-command, Corvus Glaive, also being very similar to Herr Kleiser from the Ultimate Marvel Comics series.
- It is likely that he is the crowned King of Chitauri Space, although this is not confirmed.
- According to James Gunn, The Other was killed so that Ronan the Accuser, the main antagonist of Guardians of the Galaxy, would not look weak compared to Thanos.
- He is one of many lesser antagonists to be killed in their second appearance, others being Arnim Zola, Dr. List, Wolfgang von Strucker, Crossbones and Ulysses Klaue.
- For some reason, he does not appear in Endgame even though in the past timeline, Ronan hadn't kill him yet.