|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
The Pursuer is a recurring antagonist in Dark Souls II. He is a mysterious knight who travels by crow and seeks to kill the Bearer of the Curse, presumably to atone for his sins.
Although little is known about the Pursuer's history, it is mentioned that he committed multiple sins in the past and seeks to atone for them. To atone his sins, the Pursuer seeks souls from those branded by the undead curse. He ruthlessly stalks those who are undead and will not rest until his target's soul is in his hands. It is unknown if he serves under King Vendrick, or is acting under his own free will.
Throughout the Bearer of the Curse's quest through Drangleic to reach the Throne of Want, the Pursuer will ambush them multiple times through their journey. First found in the Forest of Fallen Giants, the Pursuer appears on a raised platform near the Cardinal Tower bonfire, dropping down from his crow. If the player does not defeat him via dying or leaving the platform, he will warp to his second location, his actual boss fight located past a locked door that can be opened with the Soldier Key through killing the Last Giant. Defeating him makes him drop the Ring of Blades. He will not appear on the platform if he is defeated in his arena first.
Three more encounters with the Pursuer can optionally occur. He will spawn in the Iron Keep in the arena of the Smelter Demon after defeating it and resting at a bonfire. He drops the Ring of Blades+1 upon defeat. The last two Pursuers appear simultaneously in New Game+ or if a Bonfire Ascetic is used in Drangleic Castle in the room behind Chancellor Wellager. One drops the Ring of Blades+2 while the other drops a Twinkling Titanite and Washing Pole katana.
In the "Scholar of the First Sin" edition of the game, five more battles with the Pursuer can occur. Defeating each one makes him drop a Twinkling Titanite. One appears on the beach in Things Betwixt with the ogres, and four encounters can be found in the Lost Bastille:
- In the room with the chest containing the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring.
- Below the Servant's Quarters bonfire, accessible via a nearby ladder to climb down, in front of the Pharros Contraption that leads to Belfry Luna.
- In the courtyard near McDuff's Workshop. It can be accessed by entering the Bastille through the ship in No-man's Wharf or by taking a plunge after defeating the Ruin Sentinels.
- On the side of the building accessible by traversing two illusory walls near where the Bracing Knuckle Ring can be found.
- The multiple weapons in the satchel on his back may be from the victims he had previously slain in battle.
- If the player activates a ballista at the Pursuer in his boss arena, it will deal tremendous damage to him, lowering his health bar enough to defeat him in one or a few attacks. However, the Pursuer can destroy them.
- Dying to the second Pursuer in Drangleic Castle after the first is defeated without picking up its drop results in that item being lost until the next New Game+ or a Bonfire Ascetic is used.
- The Pursuer can be parried, but not riposted. Instead, it stuns him for a few seconds.
- If the Pursuer is fought on the platform in the Forest of Fallen Giants, the Hollow Soldiers to the sides of the platforms will not become hostile unless attacked until the Pursuer leaves or is defeated.
- A glitch can occur if the player quickly runs to the bonfire from the platform before the Pursuer jumps from his bird. By resting at the bonfire, the Pursuer is spawned out of bounds and falls to his death.
- The Soul of the Pursuer can be consumed for 8,000 souls, or traded with Straid of Olaphis to obtain either the Pursuer's Greatshield or the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword.