This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Tomura: Now I know what I'm working toward. To create a world without All Might and to prove how fragile society's sense of safety really is. That's what drives me. From this day forward, I will call it my conviction.
Stain: There is only one man I'll let kill me, the true hero among you fakes! ALL MIGHT IS WORTHY!!!
Tomura: Everything is All Might's fault.
|~ Tomura Shigaraki establishing his main goal.|
|“||Even if this hero society comes crashing down... even if I rise to rule the underworld... that weight in my heart is never gonna go away. It's why I hate everything. Every living, breathing thing just rubs me the wrong way. So why not destroy it all? Why not destroy everything? I know you see it, too - the beautiful horizon just waiting for us. So lend me a hand, won't you doctor? Heaven and Hell both - I'll show you all of it!||„|
|~ Tomura Shigaraki's true chaotic nature.|
Tomura Shigaraki (in Japanese: 死柄木弔, Shigaraki Tomura), born as Tenko Shimura, is the main antagonist of the anime/manga series My Hero Academia. He serves as the archenemy of Izuku Midoriya.
He is the leader of the League of Villains, whose overall goal is to become Japan's next greatest villain. For awhile now, Tomura had no clear conviction and relied on his master, All For One, to provide every resource he needed. His initial objective was to destroy the society of heroes, specifically All Might who he held great hatred for.
Ever since All For One's imprisonment, however, Tomura has slowly began to learn and develop into a more independent villain, and formed a conviction where he desires to destroy everything he despises, ultimately wanting to bring down society as a whole. Upon defeating Re-Destro and his Meta Liberation Army, Rikiya submitted to his commands and made Tomura the grand commander of the Paranormal Liberation Front.
Tomura Shigaraki is a skinny, pale 20-year-old young man. He has light skin and messy light, pale hair (blue in the anime). His lips are chapped and dry, with a scar on his left side of his lips and a mole on his right. He has small red pupils and wrinkly eyelids with a scar on his right eye. In the past, it appears his hair was originally a dark color (likely black), until it eventually dyed into a pale coloring from the result of decaying his own hair.
Disguised as a villain, Tomura wears a mask in the shape of a hand that conceals a great portion of his face and a black costume. He also wears thirteen more hands around his entire body and red sneakers with no socks on. As a civilian, Tomura does not wear a mask or his costume, but he is instead seen in average civilian clothing.
After a few time skips, Tomura's overall appearance has slightly changed a bit. He now wears a black trench coat with a hood on and his hair has noticeably grown slightly longer than before. He still retains his hands and wears them in the same fashion as he did before, but he's often seen not wearing his mask, regardless of whether he's out in the public or at his hideout. Following the events that unfolded in Deika City, Tomura received a new coat with a fur collar around it and a business suit with a tie. Both of his hands are currently bandaged and patched up while he continues to wear only one hand on his face. During the hero raid on Jaku General Hospital, he wore a mechanized battlesuit, as well as briefly donned the cape of X-Less, in which he took from after killing said Pro Hero.
In the movie, My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising, he is seen wearing a red trench coat.
Like most villains in My Hero Academia, Tomura is disgusted with how society is. He hates heroes, especially All Might for being the symbol of peace. Tomura also hates anyone who admires All Might like Izuku Midoriya and Hero Killer Stain. Unlike the Hero Killer, however, Tomura is out for carnage and to some degree fame. With his most defining feature is not only his desire to eliminate a society of heroes but to improve himself as a villain. Learning from his mistakes, and growing from them in a similar way to Izuku Midoriya.
Sometimes, Tomura can become extremely furious over anything that happens to not go his way, like how he did not get any recognition for the Nomus that attacked the civilians in Hosu or for people constantly praising the Hero Killer in front of him. Tomura is also shown to be very arrogant and childishly sadistic. He has no qualms about threatening anyone's life whether it be a civilian or a student at UA.
Despite his usual malicious attitude, he cares deeply for his master, All For One, and will listen to what he says. He also refused to think of his subordinates as expendable and remains encouraging to them instead. Initially, Tomura was concerned about taking over the world by himself but as time went by, he has grown fond of how the League of Villains have grown. He does not merely look at them as subordinates, but as a family and ultimately plans to rule the world alongside them. His care for his underlings was furthern shown when he was enraged when Kai Chisaki killed Magne, blew off Compress's arm and willingly used his minions as human sheilds without a second thought. He didn't punish Twice despite him being the one to bring Chisaki there. He also showed sadistic joy after mutilating and leaving Chisaki without quirk as revenge for his actions against the League of Villains, showing the deep contempt he had for him.
Tomura continues to show care for his subordinates as when Himiko asked if he would destroy everything she likes, he stated that while he intends to destroy everything he despises, his allies are the only exceptions to his goal. He was disguisted at the Meta Liberation toying with Twice's emotions, stating he won't forigve them for it, was stated to have bonded with Spinner over video games and was also seen treating the League to lunch, further showing the concern he has for them.
As time passes by, Tomura has slowly learned to grow independent from the teachings of All For One and become more on his own. He now participates in activities alongside his comrades and his frustration has significantly been reduced to a more composed nature, though there are times where he can still be irritated. Ever since Gigantomachia met with him, Tomura has developed an energetic side to him that keeps him moving on his feet, even without the need of sleep and has shown a more deranged nature as a result.
When Tomura was a young boy, he was originally a bright and happy person who loved heroes, although at the same time, he feared his father, as he would be punished by the latter whenever he brought up heroes around him. When none of Tomura's family members came to his aid during his abuse, Tomura began to develop a nihilistic personality, in which he felt that no one loved him and that the world around him was cruel and unforgiving. After his quirk manifested and he accidentally killed his family, Tomura begged his father for help but after being attacked, he intentionally killed him for all his abuse and was pleased with himself. The events of him killing his family left an emotional scar on him that would hold back his true potential for awhile. Due to the trauma he experienced, Tomura initially felt great remorse for killing his family, especially considering that he loved them deeply, but once he learned to let go of this feeling, Tomura no longer expressed guilt over his actions. Instead, his memories now only serve as a fuel that strengths his hatred and desire to destroy society.
Despite this, Tomura holds no hatred towards his family, with the exception of his father, as shown in his hallucinations where he holds no grudge against his sister as she apologizes to him and assured his mother he was fine, even turning back into a child in front of her. However, he has also realized that they are a hindrance to his goals and chooses to let go of them whenever they interfere. Though once he joins the Paranormal Liberation War, Tomura starts to believe that his father was right all along, saying that heroism is nothing but selfish heroes who ignore the ones they give up on, which in turn shapes those people into becoming villains. With a system which has rejected him and all his fellow villains, Tomura says that is the reason why he is spearheading the destruction of hero society.
During his battle against the heroes, Tomura finally expresses his deep hatred against society, stating that they did not help him when he needed it most and that they only care about money, fame and glory. This is especially true considering that, in the past, Izuku was humiliated and mistreated by his classmates for not possessing any quirks, especially by his "best friend" Katsuki Bakugo, Endeavor was known to his family as an abusive father who abused Shoto due to his selfish desire to surpass All Might and many people only became heroes for fame and not for saving others. This shows that, despite all his cruelty and madness, Tomura is deep down a shattered and tragic person who did not find his place in a world that rejected him and ended up falling into villainy due to All For One who, despite all, was the only one who supported and supported him. Tomura is, in many ways, a darker version of Izuku, as Tomura is what Izuku would have become if he had let the pain and anguish of being rejected completely engulf him in a villain.
Powers and Abilities
- Decay: Tomura's Quirk allows him to turn any solid object that is within his reach to dust. When he touches an object with his hands, it will disintegrate and turn into dust. With this particular Quirk, Tomura has to be within a short distance of his target to grab onto them or even make contact with them to actually damage them. He also requires all five fingers for it to work to its full effectiveness.
- Eventually, Tomura's Quirk was able to evolve and become more powerful. He can now take out a person out instantly rather than slowly wait and can now take out a large group of people without having to touch all of them. It is later revealed that Tomura has been using a small fraction of his Quirk's power, due to his mental trauma holding him back. Once he learned to let go of this trauma, however, his Quirk managed to evolve to the point where he does not need all five of his fingers to trigger it. Following his operation, he can now selectively choose when he wants his Quirk to be active or not.
- All For One: It is revealed that All For One had passed down his original Quirk to Tomura at some point and that he had been using a duplicated version of his Quirk. Tomura was unaware of this, but following the surgery performed on him by Daruma Ujiko and freeing himself from his memories once more, Tomura gained access to this Quirk, granting him the power to steal Quirks from others. In addition, he also inherited All For One's stockpile of stolen Quirks.
- Super Regeneration: Like the Nomus, Tomura possesses a Quirk that allows him to regenerate his wounds at a rapid speed such as missing limbs and heavily damaged skin.
- Air Cannon: Tomura is capable releasing air shockwaves from his hands. The shape and damage of these shockwaves range, depending on how Tomura chooses to manifest them. This Quirk can also be combined with various others such as Springlike Limbs.
- Search: Tomura can use this Quirk to monitor and observe up to at least a hundred people at once, allowing him to view their locations and weaknesses. Originally, this was a Quirk that belonged to the Pro Hero, Ragdoll, before it was stolen by All For One and later given to Tomura.
- Springlike Limbs: Tomura can augment his muscles, increasing his physical strength. He can also use this Quirk to combine and enhance the power of other Quirks.
- Radio Waves: Tomura can use this Quirk to disrupt radio waves and disable communication devices. He can also combine it with other Quirks such as Air Cannon to make the effect more widespread.
- Forced Quirk Activation: Tomura can create black, vein-like tendrils that forcefully activate someone's Quirk against their will; regardless if they're conscious or not. He can also use these tendrils offensively to pierce bodies.
- Enhanced Strength: Following the surgery performed on him by Dr. Ujiko, Tomura received modifications to his body that granted him immense strength. Because of this, Tomura is able to leap great distances using only his leg muscles and can contend with several Pro Heroes even without the use of his Quirks.
- Enhanced Speed: Tomura has fast reflexes as he is able to react to an attack from his opponent. He is also able to move from one place to another in an instant, as shown when he reached to attack Asui, before she could even react. He also read Izuku's movements despite the latter's usage of One For All.
- Enhanced Durability: Tomura possesses a decent amount of durability, as he was able to sustain little damage in the battles he fought against heroes. A full out explosive blast from Katsuki Bakugo at close range had merely stunned him for a short period of time.
- Genius Intellect: Tomura is perceptive of his opponents' abilities and is able to react swiftly against them. Tomura is quite knowledgeable about the heroes and even other villains like All Might, Chizome Akaguro, and Chisaki. In addition to his intelligence, Tomura is also strategic and can plan out highly skilled attacks such as the planned attack on the UA students by his Vanguard Action Squad.
Overall, Tomura Shigaraki is a powerful villain who has only gotten far stronger and learned from his mistakes as the series has progressed. He was able to fight head-on with Eraserhead with no struggle and was even able to get close and damage him. Despite his plans failing at first, Tomura does prove to be quick thinking and fast on his feet. As the leader of the League of Villains, he also has control over his allies and subordinates.
- Initial concept artwork depicts Tomura slightly differently from his final design. Tomura is shown to have empty eye sockets, with a haunting smile lacking any teeth. The tubes connected to his hands are much longer and hang down loosely. He also seems to wear two large arms as arm gauntlets.
- Tomura seems to suffer from an excoriation disorder, as he is constantly shown to be scratching himself, especially when he gets frustrated. His skin also appears to be heavily sore, mostly around his neck. It is later revealed that this is a result from allergies he had developed during his childhood.
- Although the story tells about how Izuku Midoriya became the greatest hero, it also focuses on how Tomura Shigaraki will possibly become the greatest villain, as Tomura Shigaraki serves as a dark reflection of Izuku Midoriya. Like Midoriya, Shigaraki starts off being rather naive and insecure of his power and position, but he gradually begins to become more mature and confident.
- Tomura's past contrasts that with Eri's in which both accidentally killed their family as a result of being unable to control their Quirks, but unlike Eri who was saved by a hero, Tomura was saved and raised by a villain who brought him down to a dark path.
League of Villains
Paranormal Liberation Front