|“||Yes, I have it. I made it myself. I think you would like it...||„|
|~ Vanny to the Glitchtrap plushie, talking about her mask.|
Vanny, also known as the Reluctant Follower, is the protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, a mentioned character in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery and presumably a major antagonist in the untitled game that's coming in 2020. Vanny is a follower of William Afton himself.
She is voiced by Jessica Tang.
Nothing is currently known about Vanny's past except that at an unknown point in time she became a follower of William Afton, the man who was responsible for The Missing Children Incident over 30 years ago.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted
Sometime after the downfall of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza Vanny is hired as a beta tester for an unnamed video game company that makes the Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience in cooperation with Fazbear Entertainment, who have been trying to rebrand themselves by discrediting the scandals and tragedies associated with them.
As she progresses through the game and collects hidden cassette tapes she starts to get visited by Glitchtrap in the game's level select hub, who attached himself to the tapes and is using them as a hiding place. By following the instructions of her preceeding beta tester Tape Girl and narrowly avoiding a merge with him, she manages to turn Glitchtrap into a harmless plushie within the game.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Curse of Dreadbear
Vanny manages to sneak a white bunny mask she made into the VR game's Halloween add-on and implements it as a hidden unlockable in the Corn Maze level. After getting it she talks to Glitchtrap in his plushie form. She tells him she made the mask like he instructed (hoping he likes it) and that no one suspects anything, assuring him that she won't let him down. She will be ready for the "fun".
Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery
She is eventually hired for The Fazbear Funtime Service and meets Luis, who is heavily theorized to have a crush on her. She buys three masks, starts searching unnerving things and "help" in the browser, hinting that Glitchtrap is controlling her in some way.
Unnamed Five Nights at Freddy's Game (2020)
As revealed in a teaser, Vanny is returning in the unnamed game, presumably as either the main antagonist or the secondary antagonist to Glitchtrap.
- Opening the teaser of Glamrock Freddy with what is possibly the Reluctant Follower in the background with notepad reveals that the image is called "Shadow of Vanny". This means Vanny might be the follower's name.
- Vanny is also considered to be a nickname for Vanessa. Coincidental or not, there is also an email in Special Delivery that was supposed to be sent to a person called Ness, which is also part of the name Vanessa.
- In the source code, a conversation is found between most likely William/Glitchtrap and Vanny:
|“|| William Afton: Stay the course.|
Vanny: I will.
- Since William is now trapped in the VR game as Glitchtrap and can't do anything (unless he canonically escaped the game), it is possible that Vanny will be the main antagonist of the next games.
- It is possible that Vanny isn't the only follower, Jeremy had a "Halloween mask" next to him as one of the tapes say, and Tape Girl tells us to do something that will save William, and not kill him.
- It is a popular meme in the fandom that Vanny has a crush on William. This went so far to become an actual theory.
- This means that she may be William Afton’s wife but no hint or evidence for this exists.
- Her username, Nessie97, may hint that she was born in 1997, which would be 4 years after William Afton died in the Spring Bonnie suit.