This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Yes, I hear you. I know... No. There's no miscommunication... I understand... Yes, I have it. I made it myself. I think you would like it... No, no one suspects anything... Don't worry, I'll be ready, and I won't let you down. It will be fun.||„|
|~ Vanny to the Glitchtrap plushie.|
|“||Gregory, your friends are worried about you. They're here with me. Please, come out. Gregory, I may have lost my temper earlier, but it was just a glitch. It won't happen again. It's been such a difficult day for all of us. Why don't you come out, and we can play a game together. It won't happen again. It was just a glitch.||„|
|~ Vanny in the teaser trailer for Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach.|
Vanny, also known as the Reluctant Follower or Ness, is a major antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise.
She is the main protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, a mentioned character in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery and is set to be the main antagonist in the upcoming Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach. Vanny is a follower of Glitchtrap.
She is voiced by Jessica Tang.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted
Sometime after the downfall of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, Vanny is hired as a beta tester for an unnamed video game company that makes the Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience in cooperation with Fazbear Entertainment, who have been trying to rebrand themselves by discrediting the scandals and tragedies associated with them.
As she progresses through the game and collects hidden cassette tapes she starts to get visited by Glitchtrap in the game's level select hub, who attached himself to the tapes and is using them as a hiding place. By following the instructions of her preceding beta tester Tape Girl and narrowly avoiding a merge with him, she manages to turn Glitchtrap into a harmless plushie within the game. However, this allowed Glitchtrap to enter Vanny's mind, and the girl slowly gets possessed by him.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Curse of Dreadbear
Vanny manages to sneak the head of a white bunny sut she made into the VR game's Halloween add-on and implements it as a hidden unlockable in the Corn Maze level. After getting it she talks to Glitchtrap in his plushie form. She tells him she made the mask like he instructed (hoping he likes it) and that no one suspects anything, assuring him that she won't let him down. She will be ready for the "fun".
Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery
Vanny is eventually hired for the Fazbear Funtime Service and meets Luis, who is heavily theorized to have a crush on her. She buys three masks, starts searching unnerving things and "help" in the browser, hinting that Glitchtrap is controlling her in some way.
Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach
As revealed in a teaser, Vanny is returning in the upcoming game, presumably as either the main antagonist or the secondary antagonist to Glitchtrap.
Vanny is a slender woman who wears a stitched white rabbit suit with red eyes and a blue bow tie, as well as pink patches. According to Luis, she has rainbow-coloured hair.
|“||Glitchtrap: Stay the course.
Vanny: I will.
Glitchtrap: Focus on my voice.
Vanny: I will.
Glitchtrap: Don't let anyone lead you astray.
Vanny: I won't.
Glitchtrap: Have you selected one?
Vanny: I have.
|~ A conversation between Glitchtrap and Vanny in the source code for scottgames.com.|
- Opening the teaser of Glamrock Freddy with the Reluctant Follower in the background with notepad reveals that the image is called "Shadow of Vanny". This means Vanny is the follower's name.
- Vanny is also considered to be a nickname for Vanessa. Coincidental or not, there is also an email in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery that was supposed to be sent to a person called Ness, which is also part of the name Vanessa.
- Since Glitchtrap is trapped in the VR game and can't do anything, it is possible that Vanny will be the main antagonist of the next games.
- It is possible that Vanny isn't the only follower, Jeremy had a "Halloween mask" next to him as one of the tapes say, and Tape Girl tells us to do something that will save Glitchtrap, and not kill him. It was later revealed with the line that Jeremy also had 'ink' covering his body gives a high chance that the 'mask' was actually Jeremy's face which he had sliced off with a paper guillotine.
- It is a popular meme in the fandom that Vanny has a crush on William. This went so far to become an actual theory.
- Her username, Nessie97, may hint that she was born in 1997, which would be 4 years after William Afton died in the Spring Bonnie suit.
- Given that Five Nights at Freddy's 3 (and presumably Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator) take place in 2023, and that Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted should take place some time after the events of those two games, it's likely that Vanny is around 26-27 years old.