|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Solid Snake! I've been expecting you... ...I am the supreme commander of the FOXHOUND unit... And... The leader of the fortress of Outer Heaven, Big Boss! I gave this mission to you, a rookie, thinking I could use you to fool the rest of the world... But you were too good. You went too far! Solid Snake! I'm not going down alone. I'm taking you with me! Prepare to die!||„|
|~ Venom Snake's last words to Solid Snake in Metal Gear.|
|“||I'm already a demon, Heaven's not my kind of place, anyway.||„|
|~ Venom Snake's most famous quote.|
Punished "Venom" Snake, also known as Big Boss, or simply Boss, is a major character in the Metal Gear Solid series, serving as a minor character in Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, the main protagonist of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and the secondary antagonist of the original Metal Gear game.
He was voiced by Kiefer Sutherland, who portrayed David in The Lost Boys, Bosco, Freddie Lee Cobb in A Time to Kill, Bob Wolverton in Freeway, John Merrill in Stand by Me, Jonathan Kendrick in A Few Good Men, The Caller in Phone Booth, Bosco in Marmaduke, and Senator Quintas Corvus in Pompeii. In Japanese, he was voiced by Aiko Ōtsuka, who previously voiced Solidus Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2, Blackbeard in One Piece and Thorkell in Vinland Saga. Both Ōtsuka and Sutherland also voiced his template Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid V.
Serving Big Boss
|“||He was always the best man we had.||„|
|~ Big Boss on the Medic.|
The medic was born in 1932 in California, and joined Big Boss group, the Militaires Sans Frontières. The medic acted as a combat medic, and was considered the "best man" by Big Boss, implying that he was a capable soldier, as a reliable field medic, and his loyalty to the Boss was unquestioned.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
During his time as a medic, Venom Snake saved Big Boss's life during the destruction of MSF in 1975. When Paz jumped out of the helicopter, the medic stopped Big Boss from being killed from the bomb, causing both to be critically injured.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
|“||Now do you remember? Who you are? What you were meant to do? I cheated death, thanks to you. And thanks to you I've left my mark. You have too – you've written your own history. You’re your own man. I'm Big Boss, and you are too… No… He’s the two of us. Together. Where we are today? We built it. This story – this “legend” – it’s ours. We can change the world – and with it, the future. I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you, wherever you go. Thank you... my friend. From here on out, you’re Big Boss.||„|
|~ Big Boss on the cassette tape to Venom Snake.|
- Main article: []
Despite saving Big Boss' life, the medic and the Boss both were in critical conditions, and both were put into comas. The medic suffered more extensive injuries, having 108 shrapnel in his body, humane bone and teeth embedded in his body, and his left arm amputated above the wrist. Though most pieces of shrapnel was removed, certain pieces located to his heart and inside his cerebral cortex were too risky to extract, as he could have died from the removal.
Once Big Boss and the medic were stable enough for transport, Zero and EVA move them to the Dhekelia SBA Memorial Hospital in Cyprus to hide them from their enemies, and receive medical treatments while they were comatose. Zero planned to make the medic Big Boss, making him a body double for Big Boss so that he could hide from his enemies. Ocelot reluctantly agreed to help Zero, and all of Big Boss' missions, knowledge, experiences, mental and physical state were implanted into the medic via induced hypnagogia. In addition, planted surgery was used by doctors to make him more like Big Boss, and explain his physical injuries after the incident.
In 1984, after he was helped by the original Big Boss in the hospital, Venom Snake was saved by Ocelot was given command over the mercenary unit Diamond Dogs, which had been founded by Kazuhira Miller as a successor to MSF. While in charge, Venom Snake defeated the XOF unit and took vengeance on its leader, Skull Face. After eventually discovering the truth, he was given Big Boss's "From The Man Who Sold The World" tape, which confirmed his memories, and thanked him for his role in the deception. With "Ishmael" dubbing Snake Big Boss, just as much as he was, Venom darkly smiles as he accepted his role.
Venom Snake went on to command the military fortress of Outer Heaven during the time the real Big Boss returned to FOXHOUND. In 1995, Venom Snake initiated the Outer Heaven Uprising, forcing scientist Drago Pettrovich Madnar to build TX-55 Metal Gear by holding his daughter, Ellen, hostage. After receiving information on Operation Intrude N313 from Big Boss, Venom Snake's forces captured FOXHOUND agent Gray Fox, and later attempted to eliminate rookie agent Solid Snake, who had been sent to rescue Fox and destroy Metal Gear.
It was intended that Solid Snake report misinformation back to the West, in order to protect Outer Heaven, but he proved too successful. Following the destruction of Metal Gear, Outer Heaven's self-destruct sequence was activated. Venom Snake then blocked Solid Snake's escape from the doomed fortress, revealing the FOXHOUND commander's deception to the rookie, while maintaining his role as Big Boss. Venom Snake proved to be a worthy match for the younger Snake, but was killed by Solid Snake's resourcefulness. With his body destroyed in the subsequent explosion, the real Big Boss used these events to fake his death and go underground.
- He is referred to as Venom Snake, Snake, or Boss more so than Punished Snake.
- There is foreshadowing that he isn't Big Boss:
- Once the player creates their avatar, it changes back to Big Boss' face.
- He doesn't speak as much as Big Boss, and didn't possess fluency in languages.
- He doesn't remember all of Big Boss' events from the past, and has to be reminded by Miller and Ocelot.
- In The Phantom Pain, if the player makes Venom Snake perform darker acts, earning Demon Points, his appearance changes. His first form is "Horned Snake", where his shrapnel in his head resembles a 'horn'. His "Demon Snake" form leaves his face permanently bloody, and his shrapnel 'horn' is longer and sharper.
- Demon Snake seems to be a representation Venom acting like the real Big Boss, This can be seen in actions such as indiscriminately wounding or killing animals and soldiers, regardless of what side they are on, executing prisoners, and note damningly of all, building a nuclear weapon.
- Venom Snake is only seen in his demonic form twice in the story mode. The first being in the end of Shining Lights Even in Death, after being forced to euthanize his own men. In the latter part of the end cutscene of Truth, implied to occur during the events of Metal Gear, Demon Snake is seen in the mirror, due to him having knowingly worked as Big Boss's proxy. As well as this, at the end of Kingdom of the Flies, Demon Snake is reflected in the helicopter window, due to Venom abandoning Eli to die in an airstrike.