|“||The Whispering Death knows only one thing...Killing!||„|
The unnamed Whispering Death or Toothless's Rival is a adult male Whispering Death and the first one to appear in the series. While other Whispering Death are recurring dragons in Dreamworks Dragons: Riders of Berk this one in particular is the main antagonist in the episode "What Flies Beneath", where it is revealed that it had a bad history with Toothless and will stop at nothing to destroy him over a grudge they had in the past, making him Toothless's archenemy and his most hated dragon the latter faced.
In the past, this particular dragon held a grudge against Toothless due to some past confrontation that resulted in Toothless leaving a distinctive scar on the Whispering Death's hide where he bit the other dragon, forming a rivalry between the two. The Whispering Death eventually made its way to Berk where it encountered Toothless once again and immediately saw that the Night Fury was grounded due to his tail being damaged. It gained advantage over Toothless due to his inability to fly, striking the Night Fury in the leg with one of its spines. Before it could continue its assault, the Whispering Death was forced to retreat underground when sunlight falls on it.
Hiccup attempted to train the Whispering Death to stop its attack on Toothless, but none of his tactics had any effect on the wild dragon, and Toothless and his rival engaged in another battle. Although Toothless tried to fight it on his own, his inability to fly put him at a disadvantage. The Whispering Death nearly killed Toothless by cornering him into a canyon, but it was only after Toothless accepted Hiccup's help that the wild dragon was overpowered. As Toothless was about to kill the Whispering Death to end their rivalry once and for all, Hiccup stopped Toothless, and the Night Fury allowed the Whispering Death to flee. After it was driven away, the holes it made through its burrowing were blocked up with boulders.
Hiccup and Toothless encountered another Whispering Death in Outcast Island, but it was later revealed to be a female which belonged to Alvin and he named it Groundspitter.
In Season 6 of Dragons: Race to the Edge, Toothless’ Nemesis appeared in Hiccup’s thoughts [imagination] in "Darkest Night", in place of the Red Death if Hiccup had never shot down Toothless in the first place and instead the dragon blows off Hiccup’s foot and Toothless’ tail fin. The flashback goes to the moment in the first film, where a young Hiccup's moments away from pulling the trigger. When Toothless came into his range, he fired, but the bola missed him. Then history changes from that point on, as a few years later, Hiccup still worked at Gobber's blacksmith shop, with the only companion being Fishlegs, who's now interested only in studying plant life, and that Snotlout's admired by Stoick for his record of killed dragons, and he prepared to woo Astrid in marriage. Then Stoick confronted Hiccup, and he demanded that he finally made his first dragon kill out at the forests, and that he can't return unless he's done so. At the cove, Hiccup awaited for the dragon he'll confront, which it turned out to be a Night Fury. While busy taking a drink, Hiccup tried to capture it with a net, but he clumsily failed. Fortunately, Toothless suddenly got tangled up in the net, enough to be immobile. When Hiccup took out his knife and lifted it, he still couldn't bring himself to kill it, so he freed it. Just when the pair began to go their separate ways, a Whispering Death emerged from the ground, and it attempted to attack Hiccup. Then Toothless dove in and he rescues Hiccup, but in the process, Hiccup latched on Toothless's body while Toothless prepared to take off with the Whispering Death in pursuit.
Their chase attracts the attention of Stoick and Gobber, who is shocked to see that Hiccup is riding the legendary Night Fury and they set foot to save him. But one of Toothless's tail fins got shot by the Whispering Death, rendering them flightless, and then they crashed back into the cove. Now Toothless's momentarily unable to fight back, and the Whispering Death prepared to seize the moment. Then Hiccup bravely attempted to divert the dragon's attention to him, but he got brutally struck with the Whispering Death's flames, and he was unconscious. By seeing his bravery, Then Toothless tried to avenge him, as he protected Hiccup from being finished by the Whispering Death. Then help eventually arrives, as Stoick and Gobber overpowered the Whispering Death, and it left in defeat. Then Stoick's prevented from killing Toothless, when he realized that he kept his son safe. A few days later, Hiccup recovered but with a prosthetic leg due to the attack, and that Toothless's allowed to enter Viking society with his tail fin repaired by Gobber. Then Stoick presented Toothless as not a threat, but a hero to Berk, then Hiccup and Toothless were praised by the villagers including Astrid.
- Whispering Death Physiology: As a Whispering Death, Toothless's rival is a formidable dragon. It is shown to be a good flyer and quite fast and agile while in flight and also while burrowing. It could tell that Toothless couldn't fly and that made him weak to be easy to defeat. Also knowing his digging skills will be useful to surprise his enemy and prey to come out of anywhere. It has incredible jaw strength to use its jaw to travel quickly through solid stone and can take lots of damage without showing signs of weakness. His sense of smell shown to be very strong to find Toothless also resist of dragon nip that will make itself sneeze and vision shows to be good at seeing in the dark but while the sunlight in the day hurts their eyes. Similar to a Deadly Nadder, Whispering Deaths can shoot its spines at an extremely high speed witch makes them difficult to dodge. Like other Whispering Deaths., Toothless' rival is shown to have an immunity to Dragon Nip but they seem to be more allergic to it, as when Hiccup tried to give Dragon Nip to him it only sneezed instead.
- Fire Ring Breath: The Whispering Death can shoot rings of fire multiple times (dragons mostly breathe streams of fire). The Whispering Death's fire forms a series of rings around a thin stream of fire, caused by its rotating teeth and circular mouth. As seen in Darkest Night, the shape of these fire rings allow Toothless to fly through the middle, similar to the Typhoomerang. In Hiccup's imagination it was strong enough to burn a Night Fury tail fin, despite them being fireproof.
- Burrowing/Tunneling: He shown to make a lot tunnels being alone at high speed.
- Fighting Style: Toothless' rival is shown to be the longest Whispering Death, even for an adult. He shows to be a powerful and worthy opponent for Toothless by using his long body and abilities to use against him and others. He shown great defense that will be useful in battle showing a Thundrum sonic boom has no effect on him. His looks makes most Vikings be afraid to fight back. He is able to use his body's sharp teeth, horn, spines, tail, and head as weapons to battle his opponents. One reason why the Whispering Death had the upper hand against Toothless was due to the latter's inhibit to fly after Toothless allowed Hiccup to help him fly, the Whispering Death was easily outmatch and almost died if Hiccup didn't stop Toothless from sparing him. In Hiccup's imagination Toothless' rival was able to swat Toothless with his tail after he burned off one of his tail fins.
- Whispering Deaths are almost untrainable. They are very destructive and aggressive in nature, attacking anything in their way and are generally feared by other dragons and humans in general. The only way to train a Whispering Death would be to capture it and take your time until you eventually gain its trust or by raising one as a hatchling (as shown with Hiccup and his baby Whispering Death). You can earn a Whispering Death's respect if you help reunite it with a family member or save its life. Whispering Deaths love to be brushed so the best way to tame a Whispering Death is to brush its teeth often.
- One reason why Alvin was able to train his Whispering Death was due to their similar traits. Groundsplitter (Alvin's Whispering Death and the Screaming Death's mother) has the typical personality of her kind; highly aggressive, violent, and dangerous. With these character traits, she seems to be a perfect match for Alvin, which allows her to bond with him.
- It has never been revealed how, where and why Toothless and the Whispering Death developed a grudge for one another in the first place. However, Rise of Berk hinted that the story may be revealed in a later season.
- Some fans theorize that while Grimmel was responsible for killing all the Night Furies, Toothless' nemesis was specifically responsible for killing his family (his mother, father, and possibly siblings) when Toothless was younger (way before he was ensalve by the Red Death, as Toothless wasn't under her control when he got in a close range of her presence). While growing up he hunted the Whispering Death and gave him a distinctive scar on the Whispering Death's hide and the Whispering Death presumably gave Toothless the scar on his neck.
- Due to the Whispering Deaths and Night Furies being completely different from each other (Night Furies have retractable teeth, no spikes, has large wings, has legs and arms, and hunts from above while Whispering Deaths has a many terrifying teeth, many spikes, tiny wings, no arms or legs and just a head with a long tail, and hunts from below), it possible that they are natural enemies.
- After Toothless defeated him, it is assumed both have moved on and consider the matter closed. However, it is also possible that he is still angry, but just knows that he couldn't beat Toothless, and so leaves him alone.
- Whispering Death on How to Train Your Dragon Wiki
- Toothless' Nemesis on How to Train Your Dragon Wiki