This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||I always come back!||„|
|~ William Afton's most famous quote.|
|“||You may not recognize me at first, but I assure you, it's still me.||„|
|~ William Afton as Springtrap.|
|“||Bittersweet... but fitting.||„|
|~ William Afton as Springtrap, accepting who he is now.|
William Afton, also known as the Purple Guy, is the main antagonist of the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise.
William Afton was the co-founder of Fazbear Entertainment and helped his business partner Henry Emily create the technology for the animatronics. Despite being a successful businessman, Afton lead a double life as a serial killer who murdered many children across several Freddy Fazbear's Pizza joints in the 1980's. He was also the founder and CEO of Afton Robotics, LLC, and the creator of Circus Baby and the Funtime animatronics, which were made to capture and kill children.
After dying in the same suit he used for his murders and being left to rot for 30 years, finally being found by a team that wanted to capitalize on the mystery surrounding his murders, William tried to resume his killings as the zombie-animatronic hybrid Springtrap. Only narrowly avoiding the fire that destroyed the building he was placed in, Springtrap became Scraptrap and was ultimately lured into a fake pizzeria and destroyed alongside his creations by Henry.
However, Afton's circuit board got scanned to make a video game. This allowed a virus known as Glitchtrap to appear in the game and get a woman known as Vanny on his side so she can murder children. It's currently unknown if Glitchtrap is William's soul or an AI copy, but more things point to the former.
After that, Springtrap was added into the Fazbear Funtime Service despite not even being planned, implying he was added by the unknown virus or Vanny. This let multiple Springtrap clones roam around. These versions of Springtrap are not in any way possessed by William, as his "corpse" inside them is purely metal. The clones eventually get three skins as part of the game.
One way or another, his legacy continues, despite Henry's best efforts to end it.
He is voiced by PJ Heywood, who also voiced his son, Michael Afton.
- 1 Roles
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Speculation
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External Links
- 9 Navigation
He serves as the unseen overarching antagonist of the first Five Nights at Freddy's and Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, the overarching antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 2 and Five Nights at Freddy's 4, the main antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 3 and Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, and a major antagonist in the spin-off Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery.
He may have also served as the main protagonist villain of Ultimate Custom Night (with his Springtrap and Scraptrap forms serving as minor antagonists), and/or the posthumous overarching antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted (assuming he isn't Glitchtrap).
Like mentioned before, Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery gives Springtrap three skins known as Toxic Springtrap, Flaming Springtrap and Clown Springtrap.
The previously mentioned Glitchtrap serves as the main antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted and the overarching antagonist of the upcoming Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach. He may also be the unseen overarching antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery.
In the non-canon RPG spin-off FNAF World, Afton also appears in both his sprite and Springtrap forms as unlockable playable characters.
He's also the main antagonist of the non-canon novel trilogy continuity and the overarching antagonist of the Fazbear Frights anthology novel series. It's also very likely that he'll have a counterpart in the upcoming film.
|“||They didn't... recognize at first but then, they thought I was you.||„|
|~ Michael Afton to his father, confirming that the two look similiar.|
Since William Afton is only ever seen while alive in some of the flashback minigames, it is hard to pin down his exact appearance. In these minigames, he is represented with the size and height of an adult man about as tall as the animatronics (sometimes taller), with his sprite color ranging from various tones of purple depending on the minigame, although he was pink in two minigames and possibly orange in one. It is worth noting that he appears purple because he's simply hiding in the shadows, not because he's actually purple.
Sometimes Afton is depicted as wearing a yellow accessory on his chest, presumably a badge. It has been speculated that the reason for this is that he may have been a security guard at some point. The minigame "SAVE THEM" and some phone calls from Five Nights at Freddy's 2 heavily imply this.
The only confirmed aspect of his appearance is that he has a cleft chin, as shown with his decayed corpse inside of Springtrap in Five Night's at Freddy's 3 and Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator. This has led to some speculation, as Fazbear Entertainment is represented by a man dressed in a purple (and in some cases, orange) suit and hat in various cutscenes of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, a man who also has a cleft chin. Whether or not this man actually is William has not been confirmed, but it is possible due to them both supposedly having cleft chins, being represented by the color purple, and possibly orange.
In Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, a yellow figure appears in the "Midnight Motorist" minigame. This figure is theorized to be William, who was recolored to avoid confusiong due to Michael's decayed Zombie sprite color being the same as his father's.
As represented by the picture on the left, concept art for a Five Nights at Freddy's-themed dark ride could reveal Afton's look, with the man on the concept art having an evil smile, being a guard, and being represented by purple.
It's highly likely that William has black hair.
30 years after his death, Afton's corpse still wears the rotting Spring Bonnie suit, unable to take it off. Now known by the name Springtrap, the suit's once golden yellow fur has decayed to a sickly olive and the many holes and tears expose parts of the rusted metal endoskeleton. His mouth has rotted into a permanent grin, the teeth being chipped and yellowing. His human-like eyes are a pale gray and he's missing the top half of his right ear, as well as the casing on his feet.
Rare boot-up screens for the game show glimpses of Afton's almost mummified skull inside of Springtrap's mask. His mouth has been permanently speared open by a metal rod and the animatronic's eyes seem to have been smashed into his eye sockets when the springlocks failed. What appear to be human innards can also be seen wrapped around the endoskeleton through the hole in the torso.
In Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery, he was given three skins named Toxic Springtrap, Flaming Springtrap, and Clown Springtrap respectively. Toxic Springtrap is covered in purple veins and pustules, Flaming Springtrap is simply on fire, and Clown Springtrap is wearing a red and black clown outfit that gives the impression of obesity and wields an oversized hammer.
In Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, Springtrap has been damaged even further from the fire that consumed Fazbear's Fright. Now known as Scraptrap, what was left of Afton's rotten flesh is gone entirely, with only his bones remaining. He seems to have attempted to repair himself with parts of Golden Freddy's suit (as his upper head resembles that of Golden Freddy in Five Nights at Freddy's 2), but his ears have deteriorated to the point that only his left stub remains and part of his left arm is missing.
|“||I-It's only now that I understand the depth of the depravity of this...creature, this monster that I unwillingly helped to create. As if what he had already done wasn't enough, he found a new way to desecrate, to humiliate, to destroy. As if the suffering wasn't enough, the loss of innocence, the loss of everything to so many people. Small souls trapped in prisons of my making now set to new purpose and used in ways I never thought imaginable. He lured them all back. Back to a familiar place. Back with familiar tricks. He brought them all together.||„|
|~ Henry calling out William in his secret recording.|
William Afton's background is mostly told via silent actions within retro-graphics, or by reading between the lines throughout the games. Between his mini-game presence and piecing together information gleaned from most of the games, the community has been able to piece together some information about William.
He seems to be malevolent, sadistic and cruel, ominously smiling as he kills children. He is also increasingly psychopathic and demented, as he is able to hide his true nature under a mask of politeness, judging from the intro of Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, and also psychologically manipulates his son, Michael, by presumably using his guilt over unintentionally causing his younger brother's death in 1983 (if Michael is the older brother), in order to force Michael to obey his order.
|“||Daddy, just once let me go play with her! She's so pretty and shiny! Didn't you make her just for me?||„|
|~ Elizabeth to her dad, William.|
Despite his sadistic and dangerous tendencies, it is implied he at least didn't want his daughter Elizabeth to die as he warned her not to go near Baby and he did send Micheal to the studio to free her making his daughter the only person he may have cared about, though Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator implies that he is responsible for influencing Elizabeth's bloodlust and sinister behavior, and may have even wanted her to continue his murderous legacy, and carry on his experiments for him. However, it's equally possible he wanted Elizabeth to die, and used reverse psychology to do it. William perfectly knew that the Funtimes were made to kill children, yet brought his daughter with him anyways.
|“||Hide if you want. It did not save the others. It will not save you.||„|
|~ Afton as Springtrap.|
He is seen dismantling the animatronics at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza twice, hinting he might hate them. Afton also seems to be brave, seeing as he charges at Freddy, Bonnie, Chica and Foxy in the Five Nights at Freddy's 3 minigames without being scared, the same with the "SAVE THEM" minigame. The only moments when he is shown scared is when he sees the souls of the children he murdered and in the ending of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator when being burned alive by Henry. It's implied that he is an abusive and neglectful parent, ignoring the fact that his younger son is bullied. If he is in fact the Orange Guy from Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, then the theory is confirmed. William seems to be cocky, going into the fourth Freddy Fazbear's Pizza despite knowing it's a trap, implying he fully believes that he can escape.
It seems that as Springtrap, Spring Bonnie's AI is still there, after 40 years of not being used. Springtrap following Balloon Boy's noise implies that the AI is still there, as the suit was meant to follow noise.
William Afton's motives for his actions and backstory remain unknown to this day. His motives are interpreted as being a selfish goal for immortality, driven by tragedy, or simply being a twisted and sadistic monster who wanted to see people suffer. Some of his dialogue in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery implies he wanted his victims to fear him before they died.
† means that the character is deceased/destroyed (in case of animatronics). †? means that the character's fate is currently unclear or unknown.
William Afton and his undead Springtrap form have various counterparts throughout the series:
Said by William
Five Nights at Freddy's 2
|~ Afton after attacking Withered Freddy in SAVE THEM.|
Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location
|“||She can dance, she can sing. She's equipped with a built-in helium tank for inflating balloons right at her fingertips. She can take song requests. She can even dispense ice cream.||„|
|~ William Afton talking about Baby in the opening of Sister Location.|
Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator
Ultimate Custom Night
|“||MIIIIIIIIKE, MIIIIIIIIKE! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!! MIKE, HEEEEEELP!!!!! MIIIIIIIIIKEEEE!!!! HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!!! MIKE, HEEEEEEEEELP.....||„|
|~ What is most likely Scraptrap's last words as he burns to death, desperately begging to Mike to save him, as his voice slowly becomes quieter.|
Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery
Referring to William
- His actual motivation for murdering the kids is still a mystery, though many people assume he did for his own enjoyment or as part of an experiment to create life from the dead.
- Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator implies the latter, as a blueprint reveals the Scooper's purpose; to transfer remnant, a substance that gives a soul its ability to remain after death, into the animatronics.
- Ironically, the same game goes against it, showing that even after gaining the closest he'll ever have to immortality, he still wants to kill children. Although it could be due to William's damaged psyche and having possibly gone mad with power as Springtrap, no longer caring about his original motivation.
- A YouTuber called Dawko theorized that he was upset at his other son's death, causing him to seek revenge, he also theorized William is trying to protect his kids.
- However, William is confirmed to neglect and possibly abuse his kids, so that theory is false.
- In the novel series, Afton is confirmed to be stealing life essence from victims and animatronics, experimenting on it to attempt to find the secret to immortality.
- The Fazbear Frights version of Afton apparently has a never-ending need to inflict pain, implying that he does it out of pure sadism (or alternatively, his motivation to kill out of sadism developed over time during his career as a killer, straying from his original, enigmatic motivation).
- Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator implies the latter, as a blueprint reveals the Scooper's purpose; to transfer remnant, a substance that gives a soul its ability to remain after death, into the animatronics.
- It is speculated that the TV show, The Immortal and the Restless, that Michael watches between the nights of Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, where Vlad denies being the father of the baby, is a parallel between the relationship between William and Michael. Vlad shares similarities with William, while the baby has similar looks to his father like Michael is noted to have with his.
- While he is implied to be the main protagonist of Ultimate Custom Night, some lines hint that we play as Michael Afton.
- The Fazbear Frights series heavily implies, if not outright confirms that William is the protagonist.
- William could have been inspired by:
- Aaron Fechter, a engineering entrepreneur who created the Showbiz Pizza Place's animatronics. Scott Cawthon actually met Fechter in person.
- Nathan Dunlap who, after being fired from Chuck E. Cheese, shot four of the five employees fatally and injured the fifth in the 1993 Aurora, Colorado, shooting.
- This creepypasta, which tells the story of a mascot of Chuck E. Cheese who had severe mental problems and begun thinking that he was the real Chuck E. Cheese. However, he began killing children and using their meat for pizza.
- It is theorized that Toy Chica in her cutscenes in Ultimate Custom Night represents William due to Toy Chica choosing one of her classmates to be her boyfriend, but ends up killing them, while William seems to also choose a child and then kills for his experiments.
- In the last cutscene, Chica is seen under a tree atop a hill, with her bag full of the remains of her victims. The tree seems identical to the tree in the Lorekepper Ending of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, which is near the graves of the original kids killed by Afton.
- In Ultimate Custom Night, when talking to Old Man Consequences, the background sounds when modified seems to be a voice, either declaring his hatred towards Mike and Henry, or asking them for help. It is speculated that this voice belongs to William.
- It has been heavily speculated that Glitchtrap is the digital manifestation of William Afton due to his mannerisms and how he tries to lure the player. However, it is unclear whether Glitchtrap is truly William, or a digital copy modeled after him.
- There is a possibility that the remains of the Springtrap animatronic were scanned into the game when it was being made, due to how Afton physically and spiritually bonded with the suit he was trapped in, and freed Afton from his torment when being uploaded into the game.
- There's another theory which states that Glitchtrap is a piece of William's soul, being the manifestation of William's evil.
- It is theorized that the Puppet was responsible for Afton possessing Springtrap, similar to how it did for Afton's other victims, in order for William to know what it feels like to be an animatronic.
- There is no given explanation on why Springtrap had his appearance changed in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, since he would most not been able to have changed the animatronic suit. It's commonly assumed that he tried to repair himself with the other animatronic parts also present at Fazbear's Fright: The Horror Attraction.
- Many fans believe that in Ultimate Custom Night we can hear Scraptrap's last words as he burns to death. Although it is likely he is begging Michael for help, some fans believe he is screaming that he hates Michael and Henry.
- If the latter is true, then he screams this:
|“||I HAAAAAATE!!!! MIIIIIIKE!!! AAAAAAAAARGH!!!! I HATEEEEEEE!!! MIIIIIIIIKE!!!! HENRYYYYYYY!!!!! I HAAAAAAATE......||„|
- Some fans theorize that Springtrap survived the fire in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator. It is mostly because in the ending screen, the fire is behind Springtrap. Meanwhile, with Scrap Baby and Molten Freddy, the fire is in front of them. This may imply that Springtrap escaped.
- In the final Custom Night cutscene of Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, Michael's voice becomes robotic near the end of his dialogue. The franchise's creator, Scott Cawthon, eventually confirmed that Michael's robotic voice was an error, and was unintentional. This error caused debate over whether William or Michael was killed inside Springtrap, until Scott's response to MatPat's final Five Nights at Freddy's theory video, as well as the credits of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, confirmed William as the spirit possessing Springtrap.
- In the 1.031 update of Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Scott added the sound of William's groaning.
- Afton's true identity was widely speculated to be the Phone Guy until Scott debunked it by finally having him speak in Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, having a completely different voice.
- He has a British accent, with his son and daughter having one as well.
- Freddy in Space 2 is the only game so far that has absolutely nothing to do with William.
- The fans have often theorized that there are two killers, due to the fact that William had two different sprites with slightly different coloration in Five Nights at Freddy's 2. This was later disproven.
- In March 2020, various memes of William Afton spawned around referencing the Living Tombstone Five Nights at Freddy's 2 song "It's Been So Long" where the then-unnamed murderer was referred to as "The Man Behind the Slaughter". Memes of this will be portrayed referencing the character in one way or another, often by including the line or a parody of the line in the caption, with the character on-screen being purple while the song plays in the background.
- As of version 1.031, Springtrap now makes footsteps and moaning noises when he moves.
- Some people have assumed that the moaning noise is Afton inside of Springtrap trying to talk.
- Springtrap is named after the trap device of the same name that is used for catching animals during hunting and how he is a Springlock suit. This is how he "trapped" Afton inside.
- Occasionally, when Five Nights at Freddy's 3 starts up, one of three images of Springtrap revealing William Afton's mummified corpse inside of him may appear, similarly to the eyeless screens from the first and second games.
- Springtrap is the first, and so far only, confirmed case of an adult possessing an animatronic instead of a child.
- Before having his name confirmed, the most common name for Springtrap coined by fans was Golden Bonnie, as fans believed that Springtrap was somehow connected to the similar-looking animatronic Golden Freddy, while also retaining a resemblance to Bonnie.
- Two more common fan-given names were Hybrid and Salvage, for fans believed that Springtrap was made from the parts of dismantled animatronics.
- Coincidentally, Springtrap is a hybrid, just not the way fans theorized.
- Another coincidental detail is that Springtrap was salvaged in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator.
- Springtrap is one of the only animatronic with five fingers due to being a wearable suit.
- In the promotional photo for Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, Circus Baby appears to be smiling at someone off-screen. The figure reflected in her nose looks suspiciously like Springtrap, which led fans to believe he would return in the game. While he was not the main antagonist or even a major character (in his Springtrap form, at least), he did appear in the ending cutscene for the Custom Night's "Golden Freddy" Mode on Very Hard, revealing himself to still be alive after Fazbear's Fright burned down and foreshadowing his return as the main antagonist in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator.
- In Ultimate Custom Night, if Springtrap causes a game over, his moaning from Five Nights at Freddy's 3 will play, while if Scraptrap causes a game over, his "I always come back!" line from Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator will play.
- Strangely, some of the voice lines that Springtrap says in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery are reminiscent of the voice lines said by some animatronics in Ultimate Custom Night.
- Many fans did not like Scraptrap's design when they first saw him. Beacuse of this, many called him "Craptrap".
- Coincidentally, many fans in the community created a meme revolving around the hate towards Scraptrap known as "#JusticeforScraptrap".
- The name Scraptrap has never appeared in the games and was simply a name used by fans to distinguish between the earlier iteration of Springtrap and this one. However, similar to names like Phone Guy and Golden Freddy, the name has since come into use in other official sources such as Five Nights at Freddy's: The Freddy Files and by Scott Cawthon himself.
- Springtrap and Funtime Freddy are the only possessed animatronics in the franchise that aren't tragic, seeing as Springtrap is a child murderer who shows no remorse and Funtime Freddy always enjoyed doing what he was created to do.
- It was proven here that Springtrap is one of the most used names in Bunny Call, confirming his return.
- While a character named and inspired by Springtrap did indeed appear as the villain of the In the Flesh story, he had little to do with the real deal.
- In Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, Springtrap has a slightly different model, missing some parts. This version of Springtrap is called "Dark Springtrap" in the game files and the merch.
- Fans started joking that Dark Springtrap is Springtrap when he's "extremely angry".
- After Clown Springtrap was revealed, fans quickly started jokingly comparing him to Arthur Fleck.
- Springtrap was considered the hardest animatronic to beat in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery until Golden Freddy was added.
- If he appears outside of minigames, it's always as Springtrap or Scraptrap.