This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||I always come back!||„|
| ~ William Afton's most famous quote. |
|“||You may not recognize me at first, but I assure you, it's still me!||„|
| ~ William Afton as Springtrap. |
|“||I-It's only now that I understand the depth of the depravity of this...creature, this monster that I unwillingly helped to create. As if what he had already done wasn't enough, he found a new way to desecrate, to humiliate, to destroy. As if the suffering wasn't enough, the loss of innocence, the loss of everything to so many people. Small souls trapped in prisons of my making now set to new purpose and used in ways I never thought imaginable. He lured them all back. Back to a familiar place. Back with familiar tricks. He brought them all together.||„|
| ~ Henry calling out William in his secret recording. |
William Afton (also known as the Purple Guy and the Killer) is the main antagonist of the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise.
Afton is the unseen overarching antagonist of the first Five Nights at Freddy's and Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, a major antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's 2, a minor character in Five Nights at Freddy's 4, a minor protagonist villain in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator and a posthumous antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted and possibly the upcoming Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach (unless he is Glitchtrap).
He was the co-founder of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza and Fredbear's Family Diner, who murdered the daughter of his business partner Henry and later dressed up as one of the kid-friendly pizzeria mascots to lure five children into a back room without camera surveillance and murder them.
Afton then hid their bodies in the animatronic suits that they would go on to possess, making him indirectly responsible for most events in the games as well as every person they killed while looking for revenge against him.
He was also founder and owner of Afton Robotics, and creator of Circus Baby and the Funtime animatronics.
He later becomes Springtrap after dying in the same suit he used for his murders, serving as the main antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 3 and Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, as well as the posthumous secondary antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery as its strongest animatronic.
A virus called Glitchtrap that might actually be William himself serves as the main antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, possibly an unseen major antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery, and is likely to return in the upcoming Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach.
Since William Afton is only ever seen in some of the flashback minigames, it is hard to pin down his exact appearance. In these minigames, he is represented with the size and height of an adult man about as tall as the Fazbear animatronics (sometimes taller), with his sprite color ranging from various tones of purple depending on the minigame, although he was pink in two minigames and orange in one.
Sometimes Afton is depicted as wearing a yellow accessory on his chest, presumably a badge. It has been speculated that the reason for this is that he may have been a security guard at some point.
The only confirmed aspect of his appearance is that he has a cleft chin, as shown with his decayed corpse inside of Springtrap in 3 and Pizzeria Simulator. This has led to some speculation, as Fazbear Entertainment is represented by a man dressed in a purple (and in one case, orange) suit and hat in various cutscenes of Pizzeria Simulator, a man who also has a cleft chin. Whether or not this man actually is William has not been confirmed, but it is very likely due to them both supposedly having cleft chins.
In Pizzeria Simulator, due to Michael's decayed Zombie sprite color being the same as his father, William’s sprite color was recolored to be yellow in the Midnight Motorist minigame to avoid confusion.
|“||Although for one of you, the darkest pit of Hell has opened to swallow you whole, so don’t keep the Devil waiting, old friend.||„|
|~ Henry talking to William Afton as he burns.|
He seems to be malevolent, sadistic, and cruel, ominously smiling as he kills children. He is also increasingly psychopathic and demented, as he is able to hide his true nature under a mask of politeness, judging from the intro of Sister Location, and also psychologically manipulates his son, Michael, by presumably using his guilt over unintentionally causing his younger brother's death in 1983 (if Michael is the older brother), in order to force Michael to obey his every order. Despite his sadistic and dangerous tendencies, it is implied he cared for his daughter, Elizabeth, though Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator implies that he is responsible for influencing Elizabeth's bloodlust and sinister behavior, and may have even wanted her to continue his murderous legacy, and carry on his experiments for him. Despite this, he is clearly abusive to his younger son, screaming at him to open the door and possibly killing his own friends, aware or not. He is seen dismantling the animatronics at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza twice, hinting he might hate them.
William Afton's motives for his actions remain unknown to this day.
† means that the character is deceased/destroyed (in case of animatronics). †? means that the character's fate is currently unclear or unknown.
William Afton has various counterparts throughout the series:
|“||She can dance, she can sing. She's equipped with a built-in helium tank for inflating balloons right at her fingertips. She can take song requests. She can even dispense ice cream.||„|
|~ William Afton talking about Baby in the opening of Sister Location.|
|~ Afton after attacking Withered Freddy in SAVE THEM.|
|“||He is not dead. He is over here. Follow me.||„|
|~ William Afton luring Susie to her death.|
|“||I told you not to close your door. This is my house. He can't ignore me like that. OPEN THE DOOR! I'll find a way from outside...||„|
|~ Afton trying to get into his son's room.|
|“||Ran off to that place again. He will be sorry when he gets back.||„|
|~ William seeing that his son escaped.|
- His actual motivation for killing the children is still a mystery, although many people assume he did for his own enjoyment, or as part of an experiment to create life from the dead.
- Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator implies the latter, as a blueprint reveals the Scooper's purpose; to transfer remnant, a substance that gives a soul its ability to remain after death, into the animatronics.
- YouTuber, Lewis Dawkins, theorized that he was upset at his other son's death, causing him to seek revenge, he also theorized William is trying to protect his kids.
- In the novel series, Afton is confirmed to be stealing life essence from victims and animatronics, experimenting on it to attempt to find the secret to immortality.
- In the final Custom Night cutscene of Sister Location, Michael's voice becomes robotic near the end of his dialogue. The franchise's creator, Scott Cawthon, eventually confirmed that Michael's robotic voice was an error, and was unintentional. This error caused debate over whether William or Michael was killed inside Springtrap, until Scott's response to MatPat's final Five Nights at Freddy's theory video, as well as the credits of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, confirmed William as the spirit possessing Springtrap.
- In the 1.031 update of Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Scott added the sound of William's groaning.
- Until Sister Location finally gave him a name and voice, the killer's true identity was widely speculated to be the Phone Guy from Five Nights at Freddy's 1 and 2.
- He seems to have a British accent, with his son and daughter having one as well.
- It is speculated that the TV show, The Immortal and the Restless, that Michael watches between the nights of Sister Location, where Vlad denies being the father of the baby, is a parallel between the relationship between William and Michael. It is speculated, since Vlad shares similarities with William, while the baby looks similar to his father like Michael does with his father.
- He is implied to be the main protagonist of Ultimate Custom Night. However, some lines hint that we play as Michael Afton.
- William could have been inspired by:
- Aaron Fechter, a engineering entrepreneur who created the Showbiz Pizza Place's animatronics. Scott Cawthon actually met Fechter in person.
- Nathan Dunlap who after being fired from Chuck E'Cheese, he shot four of the five employees killing them, and injuring the fifth in the 1993 Aurora, Colorado, shooting.
- The creepypasta which tells the story of a mascot of Chuck E'Cheese, who had severe mental problems, and begun thinking that he was the real Chuck E'Cheese. However, he begun killing children and using their meat for pizza.
- It is theorized that Toy Chica in her cutscenes in UCN represents William due to Toy Chica choosing one of her classmates to be her boyfriend, but ends up killing them, while William seems to also choose a child and then kills for his experiments.
- In the last cutscene, Chica is seen under a tree atop a hill, with her bag full of the remains of her victims. The tree seems identical to the tree in the Lorekepper Ending of Pizzeria Simulator, which is near the graves theorized to be those of the original kids killed by Afton.
- In UCN, when talking to Old Man Consequences, the background sounds when modified seems to be a voice, either declaring his hatred towards Mike and Henry, or asking them for help. It is speculated that this voice belongs to William.
- It has been heavily speculated that Glitchtrap is the digital manifestation of William Afton/Springtrap due to his mannerisms and how he tries to lure the player. However, it is unclear whether Glitchtrap is truly William, or a digital copy modeled after him.
- There is a possibility that the remains of the Springtrap animatronic were scanned into the game when it was being made, due to how Afton physically and spiritually bonded with the suit he was trapped in, and freed Afton from his torment when being uploaded into the game.
- There is another theory which states that Glitchtrap is a piece of William's soul, being the manifestation of William's evil.
- Freddy in Space 2 is the only game so far that has absolutely nothing to do with William.
- The fans have often theorized that there are two killers, due to the fact that William had two different sprites in FNaF 2. This was later disproved.
- In March 2020, various memes of William Afton spawned around referencing the Living Tombstone FNaF2 song: "It's Been So Long" where William Afton was referred to as "The Man Behind the Slaughter". Memes of this will be portrayed referencing the character in one way or another, often by including the line or a parody of the line in the caption, with the character on-screen being purple.
- William and his counterparts are noticeably the only characters in the franchise that are pure evil.