|“||Smoke of Darkness, Demon of Evil. Take form of the living and come forth from the flame.||„|
|~ The Witch creating the Zombie.|
The Witch (or The Swamp Witch) is the main antagonist of the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? episode: "Which Witch is Which?".
She was voiced by late Don Messick.
Zeb Perkins and his partner Zeke are two criminals living in a swamp town. Together they made a plan to steal, rob, and hide an armored bank truck. Their plan went as planned and they waited for a long time until it was safe to get the money from the bank truck, but Zeb and Zeke couldn't find the truck because they didn't remember where they hid it. So they made up a story about a Witch and Zombie living in the swamp and scared people away so they could search for the bank truck, with no one around.
At the beginning of the episode, the gang has been out on a fishing trip and is now lost in the swamp. Velma sees a man standing on the road so Fred drives closer so Shaggy can ask for the right way. Shaggy sees that the man is a Zombie and the gang drives away. They end up in a deserted town called Swamp's End where they meet Zeke. He tells them the story about the Zombie and about the Witch that lives in the swamp. Shaggy and Scooby go to the only other person left in town Zeb Perkins, but Shaggy and Scooby discover that he is gone and the only thing left is a voodoo doll of Zeb. The gang decides that they all must go into the swamp to find answers to the mystery and quietly follows the Witch and the Zombie on the river in a rowboat.
Eventually, the gang finds themselves at the Witch's hut. They go inside to search for clues and finds voodoo dolls of themselves. Suddenly the Witch appears and frightens the gang. The Witch casts a spell on Daphne which makes her disappear in a cloud of smoke. Right after the Witch also disappears in a cloud of smoke. The gang is shocked and mourns that Daphne is gone forever. But Velma notices that Daphne's footprints slide back to the end of the rug she was standing on, which means she must have felt down a trap door.
The gang later finds footprints that lead to an old derelict riverboat. They go aboard and splits up to search for Daphne. While Shaggy and Scooby get chased around by the Zombie around the boat, Fred and Velma find a secret entrance to a concealed room. Inside they find Daphne tied up and gagged, so they free her and finds more clues to the mystery. But the Witch appears and starts to chase them. They escape by sliding down a coal chute. The Zombie and the Witch encircle Shaggy and Scooby so they take the Witch's broom thinking they can fly away. Of course, they can't and falls on an airboat. The gang reunites and gets out of the riverboat with the airboat and finds the armored bank truck. They make a plan to trap the Witch and the Zombie and the plan works. They unmask the monsters in front of a sheriff and sees that it's Zeb and Zeke. Zeb and Zeke get arrested and the gang drives away.
- Velma refers to Zeke as being the one who was the Witch when it was Zeb who was wearing the costume. This is just a script error.
- The Swamp Witch was likely based on the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz film. They share similarities in appearance and the way they speak and laugh. Even referring to Daphne as "My pretty" like the Wicked Witch of the West does to Dorothy.
- The audience never hears Zeb speak as himself.
- Different than most culprits, Zeb does not appear until he is unmasked as the Witch at the end of the episode, though he briefly appears onscreen during Zeke's fabricated flashback-style story about the discovery of the Witch.
- Zeb is the first criminal in Scooby-Doo to dress up as a monster of a different gender than himself.
- The witch is one of the monsters that the Mastermind brings back in the 2002 videogame Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights. Her zombie is also in the videogame.