|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||My Brothers. We were forged in a victory. A victory that ended the Great War and brought forth the reign of Mt. Olympus. Born from the Depths of the Underworld. Rooted in the River of Souls, our Mountain emerged out of the Chaos. As it grew, so too did the might of the Olympians. We created a world of peace, a world of prosperity, a world that lives in the shadow and safety of My Mountain. A Mountain that has come to be the absolute measure of Strength and Power. Now, on this Day, that power is to be tested. The Mortal, Kratos, seeks to destroy all that I have wrought. Brothers, put aside the petty grievances that have splintered us for so long. We will unite. We will stand together. And I will wipe this plague! Olympus will prevail!||„|
|~ Zeus in the opening of God of War III.|
|“||Such chaos. I will have much to do after I kill you. (Kratos: Face me, father. It's time to end this.) Yes, my son. It is time.||„|
|~ Zeus and Kratos in final fight.|
Zeus is the main antagonist of the Greek Era of the God of War series. Serving as the God of Lightning, the Sky, and Law and Order, and the King of both Olympus and the Gods of Olympus, he started out as one of Kratos' allies so he could kill Ares, but after Kratos opened Pandora's Box, Zeus got scared of Kratos and decided to kill him, before Kratos could kill him.
He became the main antagonist following the events of the original God of War storyline (Which were God of War II, and God of War III). Specifically, he makes a brief appearance in God of War, then appeared in God of War: Ghost of Sparta as the Grave Digger, then was the main antagonist of God of War II and God of War III. He is the king of the Olympians and was originally a fair god by Olympian standards but grew to become one of Kratos' most powerful and merciless opponents as the series progressed. As revealed during the ending of God of War II, it was revealed that he is also Kratos' father. Zeus is also Kratos' nemesis (since his betrayal). Because of his recurring appearances and being Kratos' nemesis, Zeus is the Big Bad of the entire Greek mythology era of the God of War series.
Zeus is a God of Olympus that resembles a tall (towering a 6–7 feet tall Kratos), muscular elderly man. He has long white hair, a beard, and white eyes. He wears a white toga and wields a golden armband and golden leg bands. In God of War III, Zeus has had some small changes. He now has a much darker tone on his skin, golden rings on his hair and carries a golden fleece on his left arm.
In God of War II, Zeus seemed to be a sophisticated and calm individual, but when Gaia told Zeus' story that when she was taking care of Zeus, anger and rage consumed him toward the Titans. And as the 3rd game progressed, Zeus started to become an arrogant, merciless and careless monster determined to kill Kratos before he becomes too powerful, and Olympus falls. Fear drove him to become more and more ruthless, because of this, he destroyed Sparta, severely injured and imprisoned Hephaestus, abused Pandora simply because she was not an actual living being, imprisoned and killed the Titans, tortured Prometheus toward the end of time and a bunch of other cruel and unforgivable deeds. After Kratos was killed by Zeus, Zeus decided to destroy Sparta and cause more misery towards Kratos, even in "death". Zeus also seemed to be a bit frightened and reluctant to fight Kratos after the former nearly killed him. In God of War III, instead of fighting Kratos himself, he sent his own brother Poseidon, and other Gods of Olympus such as Hermes, Helios, and Hercules to do his dirty work and watched them die.
Powers and Abilities
Like all Gods of Olympus, Zeus is immortal, so he cannot die of old age, diseases, or by any mortal weapon. Being the King of the Gods, Zeus is virtually omnipotent. And being the God of Lightning, Zeus can generate lightning in multiple ways, such as creating a giant spear made out of lightning, generating lightning out of his palms, and various other ways. Zeus is also shown to have the ability control the weather by generating storm clouds when he generates lightning bolts, which is probably a way to increase the power of his lightning bolts or creating a tornado to forge the Blade of Olympus. He also processes superhuman strength that rivals even Hercules' strength, as well as high stamina, accuracy, endurance, durability, agility, and speed when in battle. Zeus can increase his size to be roughly 500 feet, allowing him to crush entire cites merely by walking on it. Zeus can create clones of himself that are much weaker than him, heal and regenerate most of his injuries, fly, teleport, and shape-shift in various forms such as a giant White Eagle, and the Grave Digger. In God of War II, Zeus is also shown to have the ability to summon up to three Sirens at a time. Zeus is also skilled at wielding the Blade of Olympus, the Gauntlet of Zeus, either separately or at the same time. Zeus is also capable of fighting unarmed with little to no effort. He can also strip and/or someone's Godly Power as well as grant Godly Powers to anyone, or any object, as shown when he stripped Kratos' Godly Powers and used them to bring the Colossus of Rhodes to life in God of War II.
During the end of God of War III, upon Zeus' "death", Zeus spirit, came out of his body, which greatly resembles a dark version of himself. It is likely the reason is that Zeus entered a higher form. Zeus' Astral Projection is powerful enough to generate a powerful bolt of lightning that can destroy almost all of Kratos' weapons. Zeus' Astral Projection also appears to have the ability to induce fear and can drain the health out of Kratos.
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Zeus makes an appears a DLC playable character in the crossover video game Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.
|“||There is trouble in Olympus, and great turmoil in the mortal world. Souls from across the universe amass to do battle, including my own son. All in service of a self-proclaimed god, an impostor who lays claim to the very creation of all. I have forbidden the gods from interfering in the affairs of mortals. Olympus must remain removed from the clamor below. But Kratos has shown what can happen when those not born of Olympus attain too much power. I will put a stop to this madness. And to anyone who dares stand in my way.||„|
Zeus sensed trouble on both Mount Olympus and the mortal world. He also senses powerful warriors gathering throughout the universe together in a fight, Kratos included. He knew that they were all gathered by a self-proclaimed god that claimed to the very creation of all. Zeus forbade the gods from interfering, and that Zeus left to deal with this threat on his own. As he left he proclaimed that he would put a stop to the madness, and defeat anyone who stands in his way.
Confronting Isaac ClarkeAs Zeus defeated those he encountered one by one, he was mildly disappointed by the pretender's handiwork, even calling it nothing more than a mortal child's plaything. Shortly after arriving at the Rival Arena, Zeus encountered Isaac Clarke. Zeus immediately thought that he was the one responsible for the creation of this strange world. But Isaac told him that he just got in this world too. Angered that Isaac pointed his gun at Zeus, Zeus told Isaac to explain himself before he makes him kneel. Isaac could not explain and claimed that he saw strange things. However, Zeus told Isaac that having him kneel was not a request, and proceeded to strike Isaac with a lightning bolt. But Isaac managed to freeze Zeus' lightning bolt with kinesis. Watching what Isaac could do, Zeus told Isaac that he would pay with his life for his insolence. Zeus and Isaac fought each other, but in the end, Zeus managed to defeat Isaac Clarke.
Confronting Polygon Man
|“||It had been too long since I've been back to Olympus. I have restored order on earth, where before there was only chaos. To do so, the most unruly of mortals had to be reminded of their place, and the so-called god stripped of his pretense. The threat posed by Kratos is real. It must be dealt with decisively. He must be made aware of the power that the Gods of Olympus possess. And if he thought he would simply stride into Olympus... ...he will soon enough see what a mistake that is.||„|
|~ Zeus' ending.|
Shortly after defeating Isaac Clarke, Zeus encountered the Self-Proclaimed God; Polygon Man. Zeus fought Polygon Man resulting in Zeus defeated him. With the defeat of Polygon Man, Zeus acquired his power. Shortly after, Zeus returned to Mt. Olympus, Zeus claimed that he restored order on Earth when there was only chaos. But in order to do so, he had to put the unruly mortals back into there place, and their "god" was stripped of his pretense. However, Zeus knew that the threat of Kratos was real, and it must be dealt with. Proclaiming that the Gods' processed great power and that if Kratos could destroy Olympus with ease, he'd be making a big mistake.
Like all the characters in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Zeus has three super moves that can be used during a fight.
- Level 1: Lightning Clap- Zeus attacks with a gigantic clap that creates a large lightning explosion directly in front of him, with enough of a radius to strike multiple opponents up close.
- Level 2: Ultimate Storm- Zeus starts flying in the air. A button press initiates a very large explosion centered on Zeus that ends the super. Alternatively, if no button is pushed, time runs out and the explosion happens at that point.
- Level 3: Wrath of Zeus- Zeus transports everyone to the summit of sacrifice, while he grows to giant size and attacks the victims with giant boss-style attacks. Square button causes Zeus to attack the left side, Circle button causes Zeus to attack the right side, Triangle button causes Zeus to attack the air, and pushing down while pressing the square, triangle, circle, or R2 button will cause Zeus to attack the ground.
- Zeus was voiced by Paul Eiding in God of War, Fred Tatasciore in God of War: Ghost of Sparta, and Corey Burton in God of War II and God of War III.
- Zeus is technically the youngest of the 6 original Gods of Olympus, but his physical appearance makes him look like he is the oldest. It is likely that because Zeus has the ability to transform, and the Gods of Olympus believe that respect comes from age, Zeus chooses to portray himself at an older age.
- It has been confirmed that the Grave Digger that Kratos encounters in the original God of War, and God of War: Ghost of Sparta is really Zeus in disguise.
- The Evil that infected Zeus after Pandora's Box was opened is Fear.
- Zeus made an appearance in every God of War game, except for God of War: Chains of Olympus. There were only statues of himself that appeared, and he was only mentioned several times.
- Zeus was placed 49th on IGN's Top 100 Video Game Villains.
- While Kratos fights Zeus in God of War III, the main theme music is Brothers of Blood.
- It is unknown why Zeus did not suspect any of his other sons as a threat as there were many besides Kratos that held contempt against him. Maybe because of all his children only Kratos killed a god successfully, meaning Ares.
- It's interesting to note that when Kratos uses the Gauntlet of Zeus he wields it on his right arm, but when Zeus wields the Gauntlet in Ghost of Sparta, he wields it on his left. It is likely that the Gauntlet can change much like on how it can change size depending on the wielder.
- Zeus appeared as a DLC in the video game; PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale on March 19, and his rival is going to be Isaac Clarke.
- Corey Burton reprises his role as Zeus
- This makes Zeus the fourth DLC character in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.
- This also makes him the very 1st villain as a playable DLC character.
- Zeus is considered to be the most powerful character in the game, surpassing Big Daddy, and Evil Cole, but he is also the slowest of all other characters as well.
- Zeus, along with Sir Daniel, is the oldest (Age Wise) characters in this game, as he is centuries old.
- In Zeus' rival cutscene, he refers to the Rival Arena as looking like a "mortal child's play-thing". It is possible that he talking about the Playstation System.
- Zeus, along with Kratos, and Jak & Daxter are the only characters that actually break the fourth wall in their intros and outros, However both Zeus and Kratos attack the camera when they lose. But Zeus is currently the only character that attacks the camera when he either wins or loses.
- Zeus' Level 3 Super move is a reference to the final boss in God of War II.
- Zeus DLC costume; Young Zeus, is based on Zeus when he was younger in God of War II.
- Joining the character roster in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale makes this the second time Zeus appears as a playable character, the first being God of War: Ghost of Sparta.
- However, this is the first time Zeus is playable without using the Gauntlet of Zeus and the Blade of Olympus in combat.
- Zeus is the only character in which his entire move set can be charged up.
- Much like Kratos' story mode in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Zeus' story mode takes place before the beginning of God of War III.
- Zeus was originally going to be one of the main antagonists in the original script for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, along with Dr. Nefarious, and the Helghan Army. But the idea was scrapped in favor of having Polygon Man being the main antagonist.
- Zeus is one of five playable characters in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale that died in the game series that they came from.
- Zeus is one of three characters whose Level 3 Supers Attacks can affect stages, the other two being Big Daddy from BioShock and the other being Isaac Clarke from the Dead Space videogame franchise. But Zeus is the only first-party to do so.
- Since Zeus was the one to dig the grave for Callisto, Kratos' mother, it can be presumed that he did genuinely love her since he took the time to do it himself instead of having someone else bury her.
- Zeus in God of War Wikipedia.
- Zeus in Supreme Being Wikipedia.
- Zeus in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.
God Of War II
Creatures in God of War