The Zillo Beast is the main antagonist of the "Zillo Beast" arc in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
The Zillo Beast was a species native to Malastare. They preyed upon the native dugs until the dugs harnessed the gas needed to kill them. Soon all but one Zilo Beast was left alive and it had hid itself underground for many years.
After a fierce battle against the Separatists, Anakin Skywalker and Mace Windu unintentionally awoke the beast after using a super weapon to destroy the droid armies. The dugs aiding them against the separatists wanted to kill the beast, but the Jedi wanted to study it. Chancellor Palpatine discovered this, he ordered the beast to be brought to Coruscant to extract it's indestructible skin to be used as armor for the clone army. Using stun technology, the beast was subdued.
Rampage on Coruscant
The Zillo Beast was brought to a lab where it was discovered the only way to harness its scales were to remove them. When the biologist (who wanted to study the beast rather then use it as a weapon of war) discovered this, Palpatine suggested the beast be killed, calling it just a dumb animal. The beast at that point seemed to develop an unusual hatred for Palpatine, possibly being aware that he was Sith. When the biologist tried to kill the beast, it broke free from the lab and wreaked havoc on Coruscant, damaging and destroying many buildings, and injuring and killing many people. The beast headed straight for the Chancellor's building intending to kill him. However Anakin, Padme, C-3PO, and R2-D2 rescued the chancellor, but the beast grabbed their ship as it tried to escape. Tragically, the beast was slain by Republic forces using the same gas that killed the rest of its kind, although the jedi were saddened by the beast's death. Later, Palpatine ordered the biologist to clone the beast.
- George Lucas felt the Zillo Beast would dislike Palpatine and chase him. Dave Filoni joked with Lucas that the Zillo Beast could sense Palpatine was a Sith Lord and was actually trying to warn the heroes.
- If this were executed in-canon, then the Zillo Beast could have been a tragic anti-hero, given his intentions to warn the Jedi and the Coruscanti about Palpatine's true allegiance.
- The Zilo Beast has many things in comman with giant monsters like Godzilla and King Kong, all three of them have tragic histories, are hated by many people, but at least one cared for each of them and wanted to study them, as a result the episode is very much like a giant monster movie.
- The two-part episode was possibly created to show how corrupt the republic had become, and give more indications that it would soon become the evil Galactic Empire.
- Palpatine seemed very interested in killing the beast, and the episode began showing the true evil hiding inside of him. There were numerous episodes that showed his true nature breaking through his disguise, but the Zillo Beast two part seemed to show his most sadistic and evil nature.