|“||I promise you this: I... will always... be your monster.||„|
|~ Zod to Superman.|
General Dru-Zod, also known as General Zod or simply Zod, is a villain from DC Comics and one of the archenemies of Superman. He is one of the Man of Steel's most powerful and iconic enemies. He served as the main antagonist of Last Son, War of the Supermen, and New Krpyton. Due to Zod's history with Jor-El Superman's father, he is one of the main antagonists of the Superman franchise alongside Lex Luthor and Brainiac.
Dru-Zod is a megalomaniacal Kryptonian, in charge of the military forces on Krypton. He knew Jor-El, Superman's father, when Jor-El was an aspiring scientist. When the space program was abolished after the destruction of the inhabited moon Wegthor (engineered by renegade scientist Jax-Ur), he attempted to take over Krypton. Zod created an army of robotic duplicates of himself, all bearing a resemblance to Bizarro. He was sentenced to exile in the Phantom Zone for 40 years for his crimes. Zod was eventually released by Superboy when his term of imprisonment was up. However, he attempted to conquer Earth with the superpowers his Kryptonian body acquired under the yellow sun (the source of Superboy's own super-powers). With Zod's threat now obvious, Superboy was forced to oppose him and ultimately returned him to the Zone.
General Zod is Superman's enemy, Ursa's husband and the father of their child, Lor-Zod. In the past, he was sent to the Phantom Zone for his crimes on Krypton. Eventually, he escaped and fought some of the members of the Justice League. Superman and Wonder Woman come into the scene and Kal finds out that Zod knows Jor-El. Zod says he was looking for Faora; another Kryptonian female who was sentenced to the Phantom Zone alongside Zod and Non. Superman takes Zod to his Fortress of Solitude and for the time being, cages Zod in a chamber with Kryptonian animals. Superman promises Zod that if he finds Faora, he will tell him.
Powers and Abilities
Like Superman, General Zod is a Kryptonian and under the yellow sun of the Sol system, he gains superhuman powers of the highest known degree. Like Superman, Zod gains superhuman strength, speed, stamina, invulnerability, power of flight, and an array of extrasensory senses including superhearing and various vision powers. Whereas Superman lacks formal training and relies on combining his powers with overwhelming force to overcome his opponents, Zod is a trained soldier who employs his powers with lethal effectiveness.
In other media
- Zod appeared in Smallville and he became one of the main villains.
Legion of Superheroes
- Zod later appeared in the show Legion of Superheroes episode "Phantoms" as a prisoner of the Phantom Zone.
- General Zod (played by Doug Walker) was featured on a web series called Merry Zodmas, were he gives his own harsh opinion on common Christmas traditions. He later stars as the secondary antagonist on the TGWTG fourth anniversary special To Boldly Flee. At the end, he perishes along side fellow villains Terl, Mechakara and The Executor in the destruction of the Death Bomb. He returns in the Nostalgia Critic and Angry Joe crossover review of Man of Steel, where he threatens the Critic if he does not say he hates the movie. At the end of the review, he attempts to kill the Critic, but is stopped by Superman, who lasers his balls off.
DC Extended Universe
- Main article: Zod (DC Extended Universe)
- Zod is portrayed by Michael Shannon in Man of Steel.
Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Zod is a downloadable character in Injustice: Gods Among Us. In his ending, he is freed from the Phantom Zone and is able to create small pockets at will, using this, he defeats Superman and claims the High Councilorship and began to rebuild Earth in the image of Krypton.
- Main article: Zod (Krypton)
- Zod was the son of Lyta-Zod and Seg-El, making him the uncle of Superman. He came from the future in order to rule Krypton by deceiving Seg and many of his friends while making a deal with Brainiac. After Seg and Brainiac's is transported into the Phantom Zone, he ends up becoming a dictator and ends up cloning he mother, placing Lyta under the Black Mercy plant and reconditioning the clone in order to serve her goals. He ends up finding Doomsday and used him as a weapon in order to attack Val-El's rebellion against which results in the massacre of rebels and the destruction of the moon, Wegthor.
Anti-Hall Monitor | Artemiz | Big Barda | Blackfire | Brainiac | Calculator | Captain Cold | Catwoman | Cheetah | Dark Opal | Darkseid | Dragon King | Eclipso | June Moone | Female Furies | Firefly | General Zod | Giganta | Golden Glider | Granny Goodness | Harley Quinn | Killer Croc | Killer Moth | King Shark | Kryptomites | Lashina | Lena Luthor | Lex Luthor | Lion-Mane | Mad Harriet | Mad Hatter | Magpie | Poison Ivy | Rampage | Sinestro | Solomon Grundy | Speed Queen | Star Sapphire | Stompa | The Riddler | Trigon |